PDA

View Full Version : Clutch problems, burnout

studeclunker
07-31-2005, 04:35 AM
The Witch is currently going through her third clutch. this is in less than a year. I've never had such a problem with a manual shift car.

The engine is a 259 V8 with a 3spd OD tranny. The car is a '64 Commander Station Wagon (fixed top). I need to find out what is causing the trouble as I intend to transfer this motor into one of my pickups. Besides, replacing these clutches is getting expensive and I intend to use the pickup for towing.

The motor was replaced as the old one had died. The bell housing is from the original motor. I am using a heavy duty pressure plate from one of my pickups. The hope was that it gave no trouble in the truck and being heavier it would perform better. No such luck so far. The pressure plate just does'nt seem to engage the clutch sufficently to prevent slippage. I have tried to adjust the Clutch linkage. This provides a better feel on the pedal and a more firm engagement for a while. Then it erodes and the clutch begins to slip. Usually I don't notice the problem till it begins to stink while climbing. Things go down hill rapidly from there (no pun intended). A second adjustment will last a few more weeks untill it starts all over again.

Any ideas??? Help!

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker
A.K.A: out2lunch

N8N
07-31-2005, 07:51 AM
Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! I know the answer to this one! (it's not often that I'm 99.44% confident that I know the answer to a tech question that someone hasn't already answered)

check your clutch linkage VERY carefully, my guess is that the splined bit on your Z-bar (0206-1 in the exploded diagram in your parts book) is rotating, and it needs to be disassembled, correctly indexed, and welded together. Your clutch will then work fine and hold its adjustment.

The good news is I suspect that if you transfer it to your truck you will have no problem, although you probably ought to check the corresponding piece in the truck as well.

good luck,

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

N8N
07-31-2005, 08:10 AM
another thought - if you are running a HD pressure plate in the wagon, you may want to consider replacing the linkage piece 0206-29 with a piece of Grade 8 all-thread and two clevises. This will require you to drop one of the pins out to adjust the clutch linkage but will provide for a straight-line push on the all-thread rather than a bending load on the rod and will give better reliability and better clutch pedal feel.

good luck

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

studegary
07-31-2005, 12:11 PM
I second Nate's response. This used to be such a common problem, that you can't see by just looking, that it was usually checked on all standard shift cars. I guess that there aren't enough Studebaker mechanics around anymore to get the word out about this part that slips/rotates.

studeclunker
07-31-2005, 06:08 PM
I called Jeff Rice on another subject (green sedan- distributor problem) and this came up. He suggested just adjusting the clutch. Jeff keeps reminding me to keep it simple stupid!:( My words not his. He does say "these are simple machines, don't make it complicated." Or something to that effect. Jeff's right. Still, I have to wonder, is this problem (needing adjustment) caused by the Z-bar slipping? After all this car was sentenced to hard labour for a long time. Not to mention that I'm a pathetic mechanic.[:I]

K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!;)

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker
A.K.A: out2lunch

studegary
07-31-2005, 07:38 PM
If it has slipped/rotated more than a little bit, it will not be possible to have the correct geometry to get a proper adjustment.

Dwain G.
08-01-2005, 10:31 AM
Do I understand this correctly? You have replaced the clutch disc 3 times, but are still using the same pressure plate taken from a pickup? I would think a problem with the clutch linkage or the release fork that have been mentioned would cause incomplete clutch release along with gear grinding/hard shifting and increased free play. But your problem is that you start with about an inch of free play adjustment, and in a few weeks that play is all gone, the clutch starts slipping and engages way at the top of pedal travel, is all that correct? It's probably time for a new pressure plate.

Dwain G.

studegary
08-01-2005, 12:53 PM
Dwain - Thanks for the clear thinking and causing me to reread the initial post. I made the terrible assumption that when he was replacing the clutch, he meant both the disc and the pressure plate. To me, that makes up the clutch. If he has just been putting in new discs and continuing to use the same old, used pressure plate, it is time for a new pressure plate and disc combination.

studeclunker
08-04-2005, 02:24 AM
Gentlemen, I have to agree with Gary and Dwain. When thinking of the clutch I also consider the pressure plate and the clutch disk as one unit. My mechanic corrected me and set the record straight. The friction plate (clutch disk) is the clutch. The pressure plate is just as it's name suggests... Or so his opinion goes. I still agree with you guys, Its the pressure plate and the clutch disk.

I plan on replacing disk and pressure plate as soon as I can afford it. In the meantime the corrected adjustment seems to have done the trick for now.

Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Studeclunker

52hawk
08-04-2005, 08:41 AM
You also need to take the flywheel to a machine shop and have it resurfaced,thats the 3rd part of the clutch 'assembly'

Hawks,Larks,and other critters!