Updated Avanti Website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated Avanti Website

Not sure if everyone knows or not yet, but the Avanti website has finally been updated with their new location in Mexico, with more pics of the Ford version of the Avanti. I'm sorry, but the Avanti looked way better when they were using the Firebird platform. The humps on the hood, the blank/flat trunk lid, and the horid gear shifter, (not to mention the flat looking dash), are just not what I would think of to have with the Avanti. I say use the new Camaro bodies and bring back some class to the Avanti! (+ the LS2 engine!)

Here's the new site:

~ FireHawk

- 56 PowerHawk
    - 01 Firebird TransAm WS6 Convertible

- Ontario Canada!

I wonder if the new site was created before or after the owner was locked up in jail for running a Ponzi scheme on Mexican condos?

The new Avanti coupe is apparently a 2 seater or at least has no rear 1/4 window, totally looses the "Avanti" look. [xx(]

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich
      The new Avanti coupe is apparently a 2 seater or at least has no rear 1/4 window, totally looses the "Avanti" look. [xx(]
      This two seater (no quarter window) was at Omaha. I liked it...I thought it was actually better proportioned than the regular one...

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I might agree about the shifter, but this is the finest post Studebaker Avanti I've seen. I always hated the Avanti II interior - like some 5 year old coordinated the design. This is miles and miles better.
        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

So it is a Mustang with a new suit.

Comment

Well, the "old" one was in a Camaro suit.
            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Hey Dick,
              If you should see this, I've heard about the two place STUDEBAKER Avanti but had never seen a picture of it. (Although I'm close to Omaha I didn't get there as my car was up on blocks last fall. Bummer, as I may never have a chance again to get to a national, or international, whatever). What is the two place car; someone's custom car or did it have factory blessings? I like it alot. Anyone have any info on it? How was it done? And how well, or how poorly? What was done to (with) the frame and especially the "X" member part? Thanks.
              P.S. I think two place is the way it should have been done originally.

wagone and the old R2 Avanti

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wagone
                I've heard about the two place STUDEBAKER Avanti but had never seen a picture of it.
                First of all, the 2 place Avanti was FLAWLESS. I don't know if it was judged, but I'm not sure a judge could find anything wrong with it anywhere (BTW, I'm a little prejudice because that color combination is my favorite Avanti combo [8D]).

I met the owner. Very pleasant guy. He brought the car in an enclosed trailer. I am terrible about names however. I think Dave Lester introduced me to him (Dave knows everybody ).

I believe the car is based on sketches from the original designer, but not a factory car in any way.

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:I believe the car is based on sketches from the original designer, but not a factory car in any way.
                  Here is the sketch. I think it was done by Bob Andrews, but I am not sure.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Yes Dick this Studebaker Avanti 2 seater is cute and well done, [^]kinda reminds one of the AMX where the factory did exactly the same thing to a AMC Javelin! BUT...there is NO comparison from this custom to the "new" 2007 Avanti coupe! [xx(]

StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I saw the two seater in a back issue of the Avanti magazine listed for sale. As I recall, they were asking $40,000. Not a bad price for a custom.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                      63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Scott

Well, the "old" one was in a Camaro suit.
                        Actually it was the Firebird, but close enough =P (interiors varied between the Camaro and the Firebird).

~ FireHawk

- 56 PowerHawk
                        - 01 Firebird TransAm WS6 Convertible

- Ontario Canada!

Comment

Kellogg had a lot to do with it. and it was Co-best of class, at Omaha.
                          Ebon...

Comment

A few years back a two seater Avanti was up on Ebay. Thought it had an R2 or R3 factory engine -or am I just crazy?? Pretty sure it was the same color -light blue.

Comment

Other then what you mentioned, I need to add that I think offering a V6 option
                              in the Avanti is awful. Lets put a V6 in the Vette too![xx(]

Repost from AOAI :

Interesting how they state its got 18 inch wheels, but the 03/04 Cobra wheels
                              they are using are 17 inch. The company that I told them to get the knockoffs
                              from "AFS Wheels" makes the 18 inch version. The Ford factory ones were only
                              17 x 9, not 18 x 9. They where only made for 03/04. Sounds like even MORE
                              proof that they used the info from my email!! Also, the last Avanti Magazine
                              with the feature on the new Avanti clearly showed the rims the donor Mustang
                              comes with, and they are NOT the wheels shown below. I should contact AFS,
                              have a chat with Samantha & see if they are getting orders from Mexico?

Heres coupe shot, which clearly shows its still a 4 seater :

Another of just the interior :

Oh yah ... and MY Avanti for comparison .....

From a Mustang site (answering the question "why"/"what") :

Well ... this Avanti is basically a 3rd Gen .. maybe a 4th Gen, but the 1st Gen
                              they made from 1963 to 1983. First body change was in 1984 when they put
                              5 mph bumpers on it, and molded in "the bookshelf" as I called it - ick. Then
                              Avanti "died" in 1989 after receiving a Monte Carlo frame. It was resurrected
                              in the mid 90s and built off a 4th Gen Firebird. Quite wide, & out of proportion
                              not many sold - even though it was the best all around performing Avanti that
                              was made to that date. That one "died" in ~2002 with the Camaro, and Avanti
                              moved to Mexico, taking the 2005 Mustang and rebodying it.

1963 :

1964 (got square headlights):

1965-1983 (front end raised 2 inches, filler added to wheel opening) :

1984-1989 (got the bookshelf front bumper) :

2000-2002(4) (rebodied Firebird/Camaro - wide body Avanti sold till 2004) :

1984 with 2004 :
                              EDIT for size

Large 2004 :
                              EDIT for size

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
                              X