PDA

View Full Version : headliner advise

benny_64
07-26-2005, 09:17 PM
i have heard that it is much better to remove the front windshield before installing a new headliner, is this good advise. i am not putting a show car together and have never pulled or installed a windshield, so any advise on this would be a lot of help. i really don't want to pull the windshield.

slow64
1964 lark daytona
bd_marks@yahoo.com

Swifster
07-26-2005, 10:38 PM
The headliner is glued to the windshield frame and the windshield rubber holds it in place.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)

Danarchy
07-27-2005, 05:15 PM
O.K.-So if I am going to replace my windshield(it's cracked) and my Headliner(it's Old & Dirty), I should plan to do them at the same time?

1960 LARK(4-Door)V8/Deluxe Wagon
Dallas,Texas

rockne10
07-27-2005, 10:50 PM
Ay-yuh! No better time than the present. You can do the headliner without removing the windshield if the rubber is soft and pliable and you are incredibly coordinated and have a lot of patience and no distractions and can afford another headliner if this doesn't work.

With earlier models you need to pull the backlight and rear quarter windows as well.

rockne10
07-28-2005, 08:09 PM
While the headliner is out it's a great opportunity to scrape, sand and paint the roof interior. The sound deadener Studebaker glued in there was slightly effective and is probably peeling off in places. You don't want it dropping on to your new headliner the month after you install it.
I buy a roll of foilbacked insulation from J.C.Whitless and, using 3M spray upholstery adhesive, cover every accessible inch of roof. It really does make the car quiet. The spray adhesive drops a lot of sticky spider webs so be sure to cover any surface you don't want to attack later with cleaning solvents.

BRUCESTUDE
07-29-2005, 10:23 AM
This last spring I installed a new headliner in my '64 Daytona HT. I used the shop manual as a guide (a must!!). I had to pull both front and rear windows to install it.
Actually the headliner was fine, it was the windlace that was ratty, but you have to basically remove the headliner to install all new stuff.It went well, for my first attempt at one; although, I had to loosen the seams and restretch it on a hot day. It turned out well, I learned a lot and would not hesitate to do another!
Another hint: remove the seats and console, that way one can work comfortably!!

rockne10
07-29-2005, 07:14 PM
Benny,
I guess we've determined you need to pull some glass. That probably means new rubber for install. If you follow the shop manual removal is not at all difficult. If the existing rubber is hard or brittle, and you've obtained new rubber, you can cut away the inner lip with a sharp box knife. Be sureto clean all the old sealer from around the opening and use fresh dum-dum to reinstall.
When I went to my auto supply store and asked for dum-dum they sent the manager out to see me. I had to tell them I wanted ribbon caulk.