This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spare 289? 259?

i am looking for another stude v8 to put on a stand and slowly build. i would prefer a 289 but i can always find another crank. i live in san diego so anything within 3 or 4 hundred miles of me would be great. i have never shipped an engine but i imagine it gets costy. thanks for any feed back.

slow64
    1964 lark daytona
    bd_marks@yahoo.com

I have a 259 you can have. It's located in Lewiston, which is nearly as far from you as one can get without being in Oregon. The engine has no compression. It needs a complete rebuild.

Lotsa Larks!
    Studeclunker
    A.K.A: out2lunch
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Hello, I have a 1963 GT Hawk 289 motor. It has been rebuilt. It currently has 20 K. It is complete with carb, fan, starter, and much more. It is currently setting on an engine stand. It is a full flow motor. It is in good shape. I do not want to give it away. If you have any questions, please email me at royvaldez@jps.net

Comment

Hello again, I forgot to mention, I live east of Sacramento,Ca. Actually, I live in Placerville, Ca.

Comment

OK, Here's the deal, Benny. Drive up and get that 259 from Clunker, then swing by my place on your way back to San Diego and pick up a 289 crank to put in that block. Crank will clean up with a trip to the machine shop.
          Besides that, you can scavenge a window regulator if you still need one. Since you're in the service, no charge for anything you can use that I can spare.
          Matter of fact, if you're willing to work with a rusty core engine, I've got a full-flo 259 that could be brought back to life with alot of work. (emphasis on "ALOT")
          Not trying to steal Clunker's thunder here but I'm alot closer to you than he is. Just be aware that this block I have has been open to the elements for years whereas it sounds like the one Clunker's offering is at least closed and not stuck.
          WHATEVER YOU WANNA DO!

By golly - if Roy gave you a good deal on that rebuilt 289, that might be the best route in the long run!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I've been thinking about doing the same thing {259 or 289 build}. Anyone on the east coast preferably close to Ga. have a V-8 for sale or ?. Thanks,

Darryl C. Lewallen
            Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Comment

the trip to lewiston sounds so tempting but it might be a little while til i can make it up there. i'd have to wait til my next 4 day weekend which is labor day. but if you still have it then clunker then i would really like to come up there. and BIGGS i can't thank you enough for all the advise you've sent me and the offers you have put out. where are you located, my e-mail is bd_marks@yahoo.com if you don't want to put it in the forum. thanks alot.

slow64
              1964 lark daytona
              bd_marks@yahoo.com

Comment

just out of curiosity Roy, how much you want for that rebuild. i would love to build my own but have a hard time passing up a great offer.

slow64
                1964 lark daytona
                bd_marks@yahoo.com

Comment

Just before I left for Alaska in early June I drug home the remains of a 63 or 64 T-Cab. I looked at the engine back then and remember that it is a V-8 but don't remember what flavor. All I needed was the brake backing plates and was successful in salvaging at least the front two. You are welcome to the engine if you want it for parts or rebuild and I am in Redding which is right next to Lewiston. This pickup suffered a lot of indignities while it was sitting and a lot of bullet strikes were the worst. I don't know if the engine was holed or not but will be pulling it one of these days soon and could tell you more about it then. Our weather here lately doesn't offer any encouragement if you have to work on a car out in the sun.

Fred Cook

Comment

To Mr. Fred Cook. You mentioned that you salvaged a 1964 T Cab. Did it still have a tranny. I live near Sacramento, Ca. I been looking for a T-85 tranny with O.D. Can you tell me if the tranny is avalable.
                    If it would help, I could pick up the engine for the person who need the engine. Then he could pick engine up from me. I live near Placerville, Ca. I probably could get it close to him, maybe Salinas. Please advise.

Comment

Working...
                    X