PDA

View Full Version : U-joint replacement

dpson
07-18-2005, 04:17 PM
I need to replace the u-joints on my 1962 Hawk, according to the service manual once you have disconnected the rear U-joint from the rear end flange you pull the drive shaft and yoke out of the tranny. Does the transmission fluid come pouring out of the tranny rear extension housing when you do this? I assume not as there is no mention of it in the service manual. Second question, do you really need an arbor press to press the U-joints in/out of the drive shaft/yoke flanges, or can you tap them in/out with a hammer? Thanks for any advice on this.

1960 Lark Convertible
1962 GT Hawk

N8N
07-18-2005, 05:53 PM
just throw a drain pan under the tailshaft, some will come out but not a whole lot, maybe a quart or so. If you are real finicky about such things you can get a plastic plug to hold the fluid in. Arbor press works, so does a hammer. The trick is to get two sockets, one just a hair smaller than the cups, and one just big enough to accept the cups. After that, well... nothin' to it but to do it :)

Only one gotcha - when you're putting the cups in make sure you hold the spider at least halfway into each cup so that the needles don't fall out as you tap the cups in.

good luck,

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Roscomacaw
07-18-2005, 08:27 PM
If you've got the as end of the car higher than the front (on jackstands) you might not lose any fluid at all when you extract the slip yoke.[:I]
For me, a hammer's a pretty crude approach. Those cups fit TIGHT. I've used a big bench vise and appropriate-sized sockets as arbors in a pinch.
As Nate says, be wary of a roller falling in. The grease should hold them in place but still.....;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

DEEPNHOCK
07-18-2005, 08:41 PM
quote:Originally posted by dpson

I need to replace the u-joints on my 1962 Hawk, according to the service manual once you have disconnected the rear U-joint from the rear end flange you pull the drive shaft and yoke out of the tranny. Does the transmission fluid come pouring out of the tranny rear extension housing when you do this? I assume not as there is no mention of it in the service manual. Second question, do you really need an arbor press to press the U-joints in/out of the drive shaft/yoke flanges, or can you tap them in/out with a hammer? Thanks for any advice on this.

1960 Lark Convertible
1962 GT Hawk

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
'37 Coupe Express
'37 Coupe Express Trailer
'61 Hawk
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

N8N
07-19-2005, 08:11 PM
When doing them with a hammer, it makes it much easier to have a big, heavy piece of steel to work on. If you try to do it over wood or another soft material it will take much longer. It does take some force. I do have an appropriately sized arbor press but the last driveshaft I did I just did with a hammer, took about the same amount of time.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

benny_64
07-21-2005, 09:32 PM
i just did my u-joints this weekend and hardly lost any fluid, maybe 1/2 a pint. i used a socket and a 6 inch extension (pick an extension you don't like) and a good sized hammer. i only took about 4 or 5 whacks to get them out. i set the drive shaft on a 4x4 for backing. like previously said and can't be said enough, make sure to set the spider in the cups before going to town. i had one get out of place in the front and it just made a pop at first then drove fine for a while, after a week it made some nasty noises then when i pulled it back off there were no bearings...just dust.

slow64
1964 lark daytona
bd_marks@yahoo.com

oldcarfart
07-22-2005, 07:51 AM
just get some assistace the first time, a falling drivshaft can be fatal at 65 mph. also align your zerk (grease) fittings in same plane for ease of lubrication when driveshaft installed in vehicle.