Engine Breather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Breather

The 289 in my '53 is obviously a later engine. There is a breather/oil fill on the passenger side valve cover. I've got a nice pair of extra valve covers that don't have breather provisions on either. I'd like to chrome a set. Is there somewhere else I can pick up a breather/oil fill? Or do I need to use the valve cover? There's some sort of oval-ish cover on the block in front of the valley cover - what's under that? Is that part of the older style filter setup? Can I fabricate a breather/fill there? I assume I could also tap into the valley cover for a breather/fill - pros & cons?

What are the options - I like the look of clean valve covers...

Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I'm one tough sumbitch!
    -------------------
    Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

quote:Originally posted by Flat Ernie

The 289 in my '53 is obviously a later engine. There is a breather/oil fill on the passenger side valve cover. I've got a nice pair of extra valve covers that don't have breather provisions on either. I'd like to chrome a set. Is there somewhere else I can pick up a breather/oil fill? Or do I need to use the valve cover? There's some sort of oval-ish cover on the block in front of the valley cover - what's under that? Is that part of the older style filter setup? Can I fabricate a breather/fill there? I assume I could also tap into the valley cover for a breather/fill - pros & cons?

What are the options - I like the look of clean valve covers...

Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I'm one tough sumbitch!
    Ernie, that oval-ish cover is where the breather stack goes, on engines so equipped. The first V8s had the fuel pump attached to that stack, but later stacks were just for vent and oil fill purposes. So if you get a vent stack and palin valve covers, you are good to go.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Well Ernie it's a toss up, if you like plain "clean" valve covers, I would think you would want a nice clean uncluttered front area of the engine! The late style '63-'64 valve covers give you better crankcase breathing and allow you to use the oil filler pipe block-off plate that you noticed.

If you really want to use the late 1960-1962 type without caps, then you will need to buy a oil filler pipe and put it where the plate is. They are readily available cheap, because most people want to go to the upgraded, newer type. Then they can opt for the Chromed ones like the Avanti!

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You don't need to "buy" or "do" anything other than what you have now!

I just changed the oil in my Lark, basically equiped the same way your engine is.
        When it's time to change the oil...a 3/8" ratchet with a 1/2" socket and short extension, quickly removes that cover. Stick a funnel in the cresent shaped hole, and fill to your hearts content.

No big deal.

If you have an oil burner...keep a wrench & funnel in the trunk.

Mike

Comment

That might be fine for a fresh, tight engine Mike, but I personally wouldn't wanna run one with nothing more than a draft tube or a PCV valve!

Ernie, I've got some filler tubes here if you need one. I've even got a couple of freshly chromed ones for a few sheckles.

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

A draft tube AND a PCV maybe...!

Otherwise your (Mr. Biggs) right.

The engine I'm trying...to put together right now will have large breathers in both rocker covers and an Avanti type breather in the pan. With a few new holes in the block for better air circulation.

Unless I modify the pan breather...I'll still have to remove the little front cover behind the thermostat to put the oil in!

Mike

Comment

"With a few new holes in the block for better air circulation"

Just so those extra holes aren't made by flying parts![:0][}][)]

Yeah, you could get a piece of hose like fits on the pan breather and put a funnel on one end of that hose piece and slip the other one onto the pan breather outlet (after you've pulled off the breather hose, of course) to add your oil.

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:The engine I'm trying...to put together right now will have large breathers in both rocker covers and an Avanti type breather in the pan. With a few new holes in the block for better air circulation.

Unless I modify the pan breather...I'll still have to remove the little front cover behind the thermostat to put the oil in!

Mike
                Okay I'm confused. Can't you put oil in the rocker cover breathers?
                David

Comment

To each his own I guess, but I would never break the gasket cement seal, destroy the gasket and wrench the bolts out every time I needed to add a quart or change the oil! [xx(]

quote:Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten

You don't need to "buy" or "do" anything other than what you have now!
                  StudeRich
                  Studebakers Northwest
                  Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the input, everyone!

I think I'll go with a front breather (Mr Biggs, expect an email soon) & clean valve covers.

Also working on a neater way to route the plug wires (think early Olds) - will post pics when complete.

-------------------
                    Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Comment

Working...
                    X