This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter

Just curios how hard is it to rebuild the starter to a 63 lark 170. Mine is fine I'm just curious, never know when it might go out so I figured i start the research.

If the windings are good, cake easy. I recommend the "rattle can rebuild" which is merely cleaning up and undercutting the commutator, cleaning everything real well with electric parts cleaner (see your FLAPS, it comes in an aerosol can like Brakleen) and repainting the housing so it looks nice. Lube the bearings, replace the brushes if needed, and it's good for another 100K miles or so

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

What is undercutting the "commutator"? And what is FLAPS, is it a vendor of some sort?

Comment

You have to be in your 60's to know about undercuting the armature, back in the days everybody had an armature lathe it just removed enough copper to smooth where the brushes ride and take out any steps or rough or flat spots. Then you had to clean between the copper pieces so you didn't short out two copper plates over the mica insulators. Flaps is Friendly Local Auto Parts Store not to many of them around any more where you can go in and ask to see their hoses, belts and other parts and can hold a decent conversation about parts rather than ask what make, model and year is it for so they can put it on their computer.

Comment

Alan, I'm 31 I'm just too che^H^H^Hfrugal to pay an auto electric shop when I don't have to...

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          62 Daytona hardtop
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
          X