PDA

View Full Version : Gold color /hub cap

curt
07-10-2005, 08:44 PM
The gold center on the 53 to 55 Studebaker hubcaps, is it a dull gold or reflective gold? Any one ever 're-gold' the center ? Any Tips?[?][?][8D]

Roscomacaw
07-10-2005, 09:07 PM
It's actualy a transparent gold color - so the luster of the stainless steel shines thru. There's a spray-can paint out that you can use to paint over chrome or stainless that gives the desired effect. Probably lasts longer than what was on the Stude caps originally.;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

tbredehoft
07-10-2005, 09:08 PM
I was given this information several years ago, perhaps on a forum like this.

VHT-PJH Brands, Scottsdale, AZ 85285-3328

The product is a spray can, Translucent Metal Tint coating, SP-233 Gold.

This is a product that simulates anodized color on aluminum. On polished stainless it is a nearly transparent gold color, if applied sparingly. If overdone it looks brassy.

The stainless should be cleaned with Lacquer Thinner or similar product before painting, and well masked.

Tom Bredehoft
'53 Commander Coupe
'60 Lark VI

Roscomacaw
07-10-2005, 09:15 PM
There ya go! I couldn't recall the brand name. VHT - that's it! Thanks Tom.:)

BTW, Tom - I'm determined that I'm gonna be able to save that '53 deck lid handle I got from you last year. I just have to take the time to concoct an appropriate jig to use as a holder while I use my hydraulic press to coax it back in shape.;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

curt
07-10-2005, 10:08 PM
Now to find the paint, thanks.

Jeff_H
07-11-2005, 11:43 AM
I took a look at what I used on my '53 hubcaps and its Dupli-color "metalcast" "yellow anodize" in a spray can. I probably got it at a Checker's Auto parts or Autozone.

I used laquer thinner to remove all the old paint and lightly buffed the center with my buffer to polish it up if it needed it. Then I cleaned up with more thinner and made sure no fuzz from rags was left. I masked off the rest of the cap and sprayed the color on. I did not sand or scuff the surface first. A couple of light to medium coats until it was well covered and then let it sit flat for several hours. It will look cloudy for a while until the stuff gets dry to the touch. That can take a couple hours so keep the dust and bugs away! When its dried, it becomes "plated" looking but from my experience you need to let it dry for a couple of days before its really cured. Even dry to the touch, it will come right off with a damp, thinner soaked, rag so its easy to get rid of overspray but after a few days its pretty well on for the duration. Fully cured, it does not seem like it scratches easily and I've used polish and wax on it without any problems. It does not smell like regular spray paint when its wet either, smells worse.

Jeff

'53 Champion Hardtop