PDA

View Full Version : cam lever shaft seal

buckeye
07-09-2005, 09:58 PM
I have to replace the cam lever shaft seal in my SL steering gear box(63 Hawk). What problems will I have getting the old seal out after I get the pitman arm off? Will I have to remove the starter?

N8N
07-09-2005, 10:06 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't see you getting the pitman arm off in the car. If you do, more power to you...

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

oldcarfart
07-12-2005, 09:18 PM
starter? how about all peripherial on port side and jacking engine! easier to remove steering column/box assembly from underneath car, just bust the big nut loose first! (BTDT)

r1lark
07-13-2005, 11:25 AM
I have removed the pitman arm from the steering box on a '64 Hawk, with the engine in the car......was putting the power steering back on the car that the previous owner removed. It can be done!

I do remember that the center 'bolt' on the pitman arm puller was too long and interferred with something, so I had to get a short bolt with the same threads. After that, it was not hard at all.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Mike
07-13-2005, 03:02 PM
The output shaft on the steering box isn't tapered. I used a shorter bolt in the puller and reversed it so the head was against the end of the shaft. Between engine oil leaks and the bad seal on the steering box, everything was well lubricated; and the arm came off easily.
Mike M.

buckeye
07-13-2005, 09:34 PM
Thanks guys for the info. I will most likely give it a try next week sometime. I'm still concerned on getting the seal pulled out.