PDA

View Full Version : '35 Headlight Help

RAS 35
07-09-2005, 01:08 AM
Howdy, I'm building a '35 Commander Sedan (6 wheel)...Does anyone have information on how to remove the headlight lenses??? It's got me stumped, there is no retaining ring, the bullet is sealed all the way around, and the edges taper in toward the lense. Any help would be appreciated - - Ryan

Dwain G.
07-09-2005, 12:48 PM
The only information I have comes from an old Motor magazine. For your 'rimless' design it says to 'loosen screw at bottom of the lamp to its stop. With palm of hands or special tool, press downward and inward on bottom of lens allowing top of lens to swing out of body. When there is a gap between lens and lamp, grasp lens at top and lift it out'.
You might have better luck contacting Antique Studebaker Club:
http://www.theantiquestudebakerclub.com/

Dwain G.

RAS 35
07-09-2005, 08:50 PM
Thanks Dwain, Took your advice and posted with the ASC as well. I appreciate the information you pased along, but I don't have a set screw on the bottom of the housing... kinda frustrating.- - Ryan

DEEPNHOCK
07-10-2005, 07:06 AM
If it is anything like the '37 (which it probaly is), the lens is held in with push spring clips from the inside. When I take mine out, I put a big soft beach towel underneath (just in case...those lenses are expensive $$$) and taking both palms, push in on the lens and slide it up a bit, then you can rotate the bottom of the lens out and remove it. It is a very snug fit (on purpose). One thing of concern is to care for the clips and springs, especially if the springs were/are rusty. The spring pressure is what holds the lens in, and if they are collapsed, or twisted, then the lens may come loose. I hit a series of washboard bumps once and one flew out. That was a sad/bad day. Upon installation of the new lens, I put a small amount of black silicone to seal the lens to the housing and to keep it from sliding around (but no silicone at 6 o'clock to allow drainage of any moisture). Never had any problem after that (and I think it helps keep rain water out of the bullet housing.
Hope the info helps.
Jeff[8D]
PS: I still have the hots for a '35 Commander convertible...

quote:Originally posted by RAS 35

Howdy, I'm building a '35 Commander Sedan (6 wheel)...Does anyone have information on how to remove the headlight lenses??? It's got me stumped, there is no retaining ring, the bullet is sealed all the way around, and the edges taper in toward the lense. Any help would be appreciated - - Ryan

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
'37 Coupe Express
'37 Coupe Express Trailer
'61 Hawk
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock