PDA

View Full Version : Hub cap restoration



studelover
03-07-2007, 07:02 PM
I was told at york that there was someone that had decals for the hubcaps we use on hawks, Does anyone know where to get these decals? I would like to put my cars body color in te small squares around the outer area of the hubcap. Also these caps are stainless steel who is polising them does anyone know?

Studebakers forever!

Dick Steinkamp
03-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Stuart Tritt (Studestu on this forum) sells them. I don't believe he has the decals in other than stock colors, but it's worth a try.

There are generally several folks in each metro that polish stainless. I would think there would be many in the Maryland area. Ask JDP who he uses.



http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

52 Ragtop
03-07-2007, 09:01 PM
I used some of the decals on my soon to have a new top 62 ragtop, they look great when on, but it's NOT something that you'll get done in a few minutes. Very tidious work, but well worth the effort. If I remember right, there was about 1 or 2 extra ones for each one.

They do look good when done, and they also fit very well.

Jim

Chucks Stude
03-08-2007, 08:39 AM
I used the decals from him, and am delighted with the results. After putting them on, there were some bubbles, which were easily fixed, by warming the hubcaps in the oven at about 100 degrees, and than working the bubbles out.
Look as good as new, but they do take some time.

MagikDraggin
03-08-2007, 12:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by studelover

I was told at york that there was someone that had decals for the hubcaps we use on hawks, Does anyone know where to get these decals? I would like to put my cars body color in te small squares around the outer area of the hubcap. Also these caps are stainless steel who is polising them does anyone know?

Studebakers forever!


Don't mean to hijack the thread, butttttt.....while we're on the subject of restoring wheel covers, according to the literature, on the covers for my '62 Hawk the little "S" in the center of the cap is supposed to be black, surrounded by red.

Are they any "stickers" out there to accomplish this feat? I wouldn't think that paint would necessarily adhere to the stainless very well...at least not over time.

Karl

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v147/MagikDraggin/Other%20Stuff/62StudebakerGTHawk1-small.jpg
1962 GT Hawk 4sp

Chucks Stude
03-08-2007, 05:57 PM
The kit has all the right color for a 62. Black "S", red surround, and black outer ring. Mine had been painted(badly), and had some of the original stuff on them. A spray can of aircraft paint stripper took care of all of that. I cleaned up the stripper, and applied the decals. Warmed them in the oven, squeeged out the remaining bubbles, and back on the car. I will try to submit a photo. Have them at home, unfortunately, I have to work for a living. So when I get home, I will attempt to send a picture.
Chuck

MagikDraggin
03-08-2007, 06:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by Chucks Stude

The kit has all the right color for a 62. Black "S", red surround, and black outer ring. Mine had been painted(badly), and had some of the original stuff on them. A spray can of aircraft paint stripper took care of all of that. I cleaned up the stripper, and applied the decals. Warmed them in the oven, squeeged out the remaining bubbles, and back on the car. I will try to submit a photo. Have them at home, unfortunately, I have to work for a living. So when I get home, I will attempt to send a picture.
Chuck



Yes, by all means, if you can, when you have the time. Sorry to hear about you having to work for a living.....'been there, done that'...definitely paid my dues, though. I feel like I 'deserve' the time off, heh, heh, heh.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v147/MagikDraggin/Other%20Stuff/62StudebakerGTHawk1-small.jpg
1962 GT Hawk 4sp

studelover
03-08-2007, 07:17 PM
I would like to get in touch with the gentleman that has these kits, is he here or is there an e-mail address.The other question I have is how did you guy's deal with the polishing of the hubcaps to bring them back to like new luster?

Studebakers forever!

studeclunker
03-08-2007, 08:37 PM
These kits always seem to be available on e-bay.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/studebaby/54wagonblue-2.jpg http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/56%20Parkview%20Wagon/56wagonleftfrontclipped-1.jpg
Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith
Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?

Dick Steinkamp
03-08-2007, 08:40 PM
Here's a thread on them...

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/sdc_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7789&SearchTerms=hubcap,decals



http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

MagikDraggin
03-08-2007, 08:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Here's a thread on them...

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/sdc_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7789&SearchTerms=hubcap,decal


I noticed while perusing through that thread, that there is concern about the pieces coming off if the Stude is driven very much, (especially if it is raining out).

I wonder if it would be practical to get a rattle can of clear coat and spray each wheel cover....would they stay on then, or would that make the wheel cover look really funky?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v147/MagikDraggin/Other%20Stuff/62StudebakerGTHawk1-small.jpg
1962 GT Hawk 4sp

Scott
03-08-2007, 10:46 PM
I used the 1962 set from Mr. Tritt and am very happy. This is how they came out.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/125/415198314_82ead9d2c7.jpg?v=0
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/156/415198315_beb13e02ee.jpg?v=0

StudeRich
03-09-2007, 01:08 AM
Or, if you are concerned about durability...us Stude Vendors at studebakervendors.com have new ones from the original die for $240.00 a set.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

MagikDraggin
03-09-2007, 06:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Or, if you are concerned about durability...us Stude Vendors at studebakervendors.com have new ones from the original die for $240.00 a set.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA


Yeah, right.....I'm not that concerned about it :D

I went and ordered the decals. Stuart is confident that they will stay on....I figure, he made them, he outta know.


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v147/MagikDraggin/Other%20Stuff/62StudebakerGTHawk1-small.jpg
1962 GT Hawk 4sp

52 Ragtop
03-09-2007, 10:17 PM
As far as durability, I used some vynal graphics on the first wheel caps on my 52, they were on there about 6 years and no problems with peeling. I would think that Stu's are of the same or better quality. I see no problem with them, and I would NOT clear coat them! As when the clear starts to peels they will really look like crap.

Jim