PDA

View Full Version : Backwards timing

charley norton
07-06-2005, 04:35 PM
I got some advice as to how to time the engine in my R2. According to the book, I unhooked and plugged the vacuum advance line and ran the rpms up to 1600. Then set the timing at 20 degrees advanced. The car ran terrible. What I was told to do (and did), was to use a digital timing light and with the vacuum advance hooked up, set the timing at 32 to 36 (no more than 36) degrees total advance. You make sure that when your doing this that you have the rpms high enough so that all centrifugal and vacuum advance is achieved. I guess that how much advance you can set it at would depend on how good your engine is and what fuel your burning. Mine ran well at 32 degrees total. If I try the 105 octane fuel, I may bump it up a little. I'm sure this will only work if you have the centrifugal and vacuum advance set within the accepted range. Anyone tried this??

63 R2 Avanti

Mike Van Veghten
07-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Standard way of setting "total" advance.
The actual "full mechanical advance" RPM will have to be verified by the owner as everyone has a bit of a different distr. setup. Once that RPM is learned, raise the idle RPM to just over that (see above) and set your total advance to ......
34 / 36 degrees is a good place to start. Again, everyones engine/car is a little different. It may take trying a couple of different settings to find the "best" advance number. 38 may work for some.

Doing things this way eliminates any thing in the system that doing the adjustment at 750 RPM won't show up. It can also tell you things that may need help that don't show up at 750 RPM.

Sonny
07-06-2005, 10:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by charley norton

I got some advice as to how to time the engine in my R2. According to the book, I unhooked and plugged the vacuum advance line and ran the rpms up to 1600. Then set the timing at 20 degrees advanced. The car ran terrible. What I was told to do (and did), was to use a digital timing light and with the vacuum advance hooked up, set the timing at 32 to 36 (no more than 36) degrees total advance. You make sure that when your doing this that you have the rpms high enough so that all centrifugal and vacuum advance is achieved. I guess that how much advance you can set it at would depend on how good your engine is and what fuel your burning. Mine ran well at 32 degrees total. If I try the 105 octane fuel, I may bump it up a little. I'm sure this will only work if you have the centrifugal and vacuum advance set within the accepted range. Anyone tried this??

63 R2 Avanti

Sure, I've done it that way Charlie, like Mike says, it's the way to check/set total advance. Thing of it is, I thought the R2 initial timing was 24 BTDC @ 1600. The mechanical and vacuum advance are both well kicked in at 1600, (if you're still usin' the Presto-cooker distributor [:p]). The mechanical advance is totaled at 1200 rpm, (should read 18 degrees max, + or - 2), and the vacuum advance is at max at 13 inches of vacuum, (should read 16 degrees + or - 2).

But again, like Mike says, every car is different and especially true with our old equipment, ya just have to piddle around to get 'em dialed in.

Sonny
http://RacingStudebakers.com

charley norton
07-07-2005, 01:27 PM
Sonny, Your right on the timing being at 24deg., I remembered wrong. My centrifugal goes to 20 degrees and my vacuum goes to 18 degrees

63 R2 Avanti

wagone
07-07-2005, 01:56 PM
Charley: My Avanti is also an R2. When I first bought the car two years ago my centrifugal advance showed the correct 24 degrees at 1600rpm. Then I had one of the "renowned" vendors attempt to correct a malfunction of the breaker gap in the Chrysler electronic conversion (my cam plate was tipping). He replaced this piece (which times the centrifugal advance) with another type which only gives (now) 20 degrees of advance--apparently this is now the only one available. The same thing may have happened to your distributor over time. I don't know how much of an effect this has on performance, but when I get a few of the other problems with this car sorted out I am going to try and find a machine shop to sleeve the corect advance timer so that it doesn't tip on top of the shaft any longer. At least this guy returned this "original" cam timer rather than throwing it away.
wagone and Avanti I

charley norton
07-07-2005, 08:57 PM
I think 18 to 20 degrees on the centrifugal advance is ok from what I gather. With todays fuel, I think more advance would probably hurt more than help. My big problem with the centrifugal was it showed 16 degrees one time and up to 19 degrees the next. I had the distributer in and out half a dozen times. It did the same thing after I replaced the weights and springs. The problem ended up being in the camplate. The spacer under the camplate wasn't tall enough and the camplate sat on top of the weights, causing my problem. I ended up filing a sized washer and putting it under the spacer as a shim making sure I still had some freeplay in the assembly. Don't know if that was the right thing to do, but it worked

63 R2 Avanti