X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, My Name is Dave...

And I'm a Studeaholic.

After burning myself out week before last working on the '62 and company car in the blazing heat, I decided not to have anything to do with working on anything at all last week (other than the job, weed eating, mowing, and brush hogging.)

JP had a bout with winter depression that I can now relate to, because the summer heat wears me down, and pisses me off to the point that I just don't want to deal with it. I can't seem to do anything right the first time, I sweat all over everything I just cleaned up, and everything just seems to fight any effort I expend. I drop things, and just generally hate every minute of trying to do anything.

Anyhoo, today I cleaned and polished WHF's ride, and the company car. (The high today was only 84 degrees.) Felt like doing something else, so hopped in the GT to take it for a 4th of July ride. Had the same feeling as last time I drove it... I like it... A LOT! Since I have driven it long (and hard,) the "stutter" is gone... you can run it up to top RPM in all gears, and it no longer falls on it's face. The exhaust has a nice, mellow tone, and it's fun running it through the gears manually, up and down. I had to turn the AC off, I was getting goose bumps. The car started talking to me..., "Hey, Dave, how 'bout you keep me, eh? I love you, Dave, and you know you love me!" "CRAP, STOP THAT," I mumbled. She didn't stop, she just kept whispering in my ear. It got so bad, I brought her home, and jumped into 'Sheba, just to decide which car I really liked best.

'Sheba was up to the challenge. Her tone is deeper, somewhat more mellow, maybe. And, her four barrel plays a tune that accompanies the exhaust so well... kind of a treble scream, coupled with the deep, throaty rumble. <G> 'Sheba did what she does best, she gave me wood.

However, Buttercup, the GT, caught my eye (and ear) when I pulled back into the driveway. "OK," she whispered, "I'm no slut, like 'Sheba. I'm a lady, pathetically slow by comparison, but slow can be good, eh, Dave? You know Jeff Rice, don't you, Dave? He makes those four barrel manifolds, you know, Dave. I, too, can scream from one end, and bellow from the other, Dave. Just give me a chance, and I can please you in ways 'Sheba can't. I can melt that wood away, Dave." Ya know, I think she could.

I've played with numbers, the pros and cons, and I know what I must do... when I'm ready. <G>

Damn, WHY can't a guy own 'em all?!

Goliath? He sat and watched, seeming to say, "I don't care which one uses me, I just like to be used... can ya get me a two car hauler? I'd love to pull that train!"

Dave's Place
    Studebaker Emporium

It's a real dilemma, ain't it, Dave? Well, it wouldn't be for ME, but for you - I understand.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

It's a real dilemma, ain't it, Dave? Well, it wouldn't be for ME, but for you - I understand.
      Yeah, but it's easy bein' you. [)]

It's not easy bein' me. [}]

Dave's Place
      Studebaker Emporium
      sigpic
      Dave Lester

Comment

Dave, I hope you are not asking for sympathy! If I gotta have a problem yours sounds like the one to have. <G>

Mike

Comment

quote:Originally posted by MikeW

Dave, I hope you are not asking for sympathy! If I gotta have a problem yours sounds like the one to have. <G>
          The problem is not "getting" them, they seem to find me. The problem is KEEPIN' 'EM!

Dave's Place
          Studebaker Emporium
          sigpic
          Dave Lester

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Studedude
            [
            I've played with numbers, the pros and cons, and I know what I must do... when I'm ready. <G>

Damn, WHY can't a guy own 'em all?!

Dave - If this leads to a decision to part with Sheba, please contact me off the forum.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

You could try the John Poulos method, own them all, one at a time :P

Comment

[quote]quote:Originally posted by studegary

Dave - If this leads to a decision to part with Sheba, please contact me off the forum.
                O'tay.

Dave's Place
                Studebaker Emporium
                sigpic
                Dave Lester

Comment

quote:You could try the John Poulos method, own them all, one at a time :P
                  John started a lot younger than I did, but I'll get in as many as I can with the time I have left! [}]

Dave's Place
                  Studebaker Emporium
                  sigpic
                  Dave Lester

Comment

Some guys have all the luck...

Lotsa Larks!
                    Studeclunker
                    A.K.A: out2lunch
                    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                    Ron Smith
                    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

quote:
                      Some guys have all the luck...
                      I do feel fortunate to be able to play cars, and I know JP knows he is a lucky guy to be able to make a living doing what he is doing. John works long, hard hours in the shop working on the cars, and hours on end on the computer finding, promoting, and selling them.

It's not all about luck. It's mostly about getting older, having spent your youth slaving away and raising your family, and managing things in such a way that you can play a while before you drop dead. Luck would mean being able to keep all of them you would like to keep. Managing means enjoying some of them for a while and letting them go.

A fellow usually makes his own luck... good, or bad. Not always, but usually.

Dave's Place
                      Studebaker Emporium
                      sigpic
                      Dave Lester

Comment

Working...
                      X