This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dream Car

What is your dream car? Given this is a Studebaker related website, let's limit this to those whose dream car is a Studebaker. Whether you already have your dream car, are in the process of building or restoring it, or, like me, are still in the dreaming stage, what would it be. What year? What model? Body Style? Engine/tranny? Accessories? Color? Original or modified? This is fantasy land.

My dream car is a 1951 Commander.

I could live with any body style, although I think a business coupe is a moot point since there was supposedly only one Commander business coupe ever made. My first choice would be evenly tied between a convertible and a four door sedan. I always loved convertibles, but was always facinated by the suicide doors. A starlight coupe would run a very close second choice and a two door sedan and the one business coupe, if it still exists, would be evenly tied for third. Either the Regal or State trim level, where applicable, would be okay.

A Stude engine is requisite for me, but by choice I would power my dream car with a later model 289. As for the tranny, definitely three-speed overdrive. I haven't had an automatic tranny car for years and I never plan to have another one. I just prefer manual.

My dream car would look very original with the floor pedals, column shift, wide whitewall tires and stock wheel covers, but have modern conveniences such as integral power steering, front disc brakes, preferable power, air conditioning, and radial tires. I want to accomplish this using as many authentic Studebaker parts as posible. I want the car to look good and look original, but leaving it in the garage and trailering it to shows is not for me. That would spoil the fun of having the car.

Definitely want an original color. Maui Blue, Commanche Red, Black Cherry are among the original colors I especailly like.

Alright, fellow members, tell us about your dream car. Inquring minds want to know. As a last thought, of all the safety equipment the auto manufactures have devised, there is one hazard that no one had ever found a safety device to protect us against...the loose nut behind the wheel.

I've owned a few of my dreams and some real close, but would love a factory R3 4 speed Avanti. I'm building one dream I missed from 64, a plain, zero optioned R2 4 speed Challenger. Since I buy and sell a dozen or so a year, I get to enjoy most of the ones I love.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    55 Speedster
    50 2R 10 truck
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Steve,
      Business Coupe roof, already extricated and, ready to section into two door body of your coice. Let's make it two. Make offer.
      LV2C3GO@aol.com
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Were it not for the fact I currently lack employment and consequently the funds, space, etc. I'd think very seriously about that proposal. That would be something different to have a Commander Business Coupe. The appeal of the Business Coupe is the huge trunk. The whole idea is quite though provoking. I wonder if one could also substitute the main body of a Champion Business Coupe body for that of a two door Commander. They shared the same wheelbase in 1951, so I assume if one used the dash, interior trim, front end, etc. from the Commander basically the same result would be accomplished. When I come up with the funds to move forward, I would definitely like to discuss this idea further. What are the odds of the one that left the factory still existing?

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

Steve,
        Business Coupe roof, already extricated and, ready to section into two door body of your coice. Let's make it two. Make offer.
        LV2C3GO@aol.com

Comment

Steve,

I've got a Comanche Red '51 Commander State 4 dr with stock v-8 and (sorry) DG 200 automatic. I'll be putting front discs on it this fall. After half a dozen restos, mainly Fords ('24, '38, '51, '62), I think I"ve got a keeper here.... BUT, my dream car is a clean, stock,well- optioned '62 GT hawk with your basic 289 and a floor shifter. Preferably white with red interior. It shouldn't be hard to find, but no luck so far....

51 Commander State Sedan
          Butler PA

Comment

I would love to have a late 30's President - style, grace - beautiful. Secondly - a '53 Commander hardtop

Comment

Please let us know how the disc brake conversion goes, especially if you are able to use Studebaker parts. I hope to be following in your footsteps in the future.

I would imagine that automatic tranny was the excpetion rather than the rule in 1951, given the fact that automatic hiked the price quite a bit. When the time comes, I should be able to find a car with the three speed overdrive. Nothing wrong with automatic, I simply prefer manual. A lot fewer people ask to borrow your car that way. Hopefully your car has the original driveline and you can keep the numbers matching.

Hope you find the '62 GT Hawk you would like as well. Once can never have too many Studebakers. Besides, he who has the most toys when he dies wins! I'd better get busy as I'm not getting any younger.

quote:Originally posted by Commander51

Steve,

I've got a Comanche Red '51 Commander State 4 dr with stock v-8 and (sorry) DG 200 automatic. I'll be putting front discs on it this fall. After half a dozen restos, mainly Fords ('24, '38, '51, '62), I think I"ve got a keeper here.... BUT, my dream car is a clean, stock,well- optioned '62 GT hawk with your basic 289 and a floor shifter. Preferably white with red interior. It shouldn't be hard to find, but no luck so far....

Comment

Hi all of ya.
                My dream car would be a 32 Roadster, like Doc Hemps or a 37 Coupe express, like Doc Rice Or a mid 30's Dictator. But I'm fond of most old trucks Form 59 on back to the cab overs any size.
                Cammander51 I could make your dream come true, how about a 62 GT 289 4 speed black with red interior [?]

Ebon...

Comment

Well my dream car is a 1960 hawk, with a packard 374 and 3 speed/OD. Twin trac and PS. Laker yellow with purple hilights and purple leather interior... AKA the LAKERBAKER!!!

Sedans Rule!!!

Chris Coop
                  Vancouver, WA.
                  Sedans Rule!!!

Chris Coop
                  Vancouver, WA.

Comment

My dream Stude is a 40 President 3-pass coupe with the big straight eight.I still have the black one from E-Bay as my background,beautiful lines.It sold for I think 28k

Comment

quote:Originally posted by steve_smith54

Please let us know how the disc brake conversion goes, especially if you are able to use Studebaker parts. I hope to be following in your footsteps in the future.

I would imagine that automatic tranny was the excpetion rather than the rule in 1951, given the fact that automatic hiked the price quite a bit. When the time comes, I should be able to find a car with the three speed overdrive. Nothing wrong with automatic, I simply prefer manual. A lot fewer people ask to borrow your car that way. Hopefully your car has the original driveline and you can keep the numbers matching.
                      Steve, I'll be using a Turner coversion kit, mainly because the '51 requires a special caliper mounting bracket specific to that year. Jim makes the right bracket.
                      I agree with your preference for the manual tranny. The prior owner of my car has POURED money into that automatic and it's still not right. Before I put anything more in it, I'll go get a 700R4 for the taller (and more numerous) gears...

I hope to wind up with an utterly reliable (or at least serviceable) 9 months' driver capable of long, comfortable distance.
                      Not a show car...

51 Commander State Sedan
                      Butler PA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by railway

Hi all of ya.

Cammander51 I could make your dream come true, how about a 62 GT 289 4 speed black with red interior [?]
                        Ebon...
                        Thanks for the offer, but I have my hands full with the '51 at present. But I'll keep this post; I'm always just a few months away from my next project...

I bet this topic, if it catches on, may result in some big, multicar swap... let's see what happens!!

51 Commander State Sedan
                        Butler PA

Comment

Since we're dreaming, my dream car has been and will always be a '50 or '51 Starlight Coupe. The color is debatable, but I prefer the Maui Blue and my first choice. Either the six or 8 would be fine, but manual shift.
                          My next choice would be a '61 Hawk with buckets and 4 - on- the - floor.
                          The treasurer of our local Stude chapter has a beautiful black '61 Hawk with red seats and I drool over it whenever I see it.
                          Of course, the top of my list is the one I own, a '59 Lark Regal Hardtop. I get more comments and compliments about that car that I do with my other old cars.
                          Rog
                          '59 Lark
                          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                          Smithtown,NY
                          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

My dream car is any GT Hawk, black in color and not suffering from frame sag.

Comment

If we're limiting this to Studes, I would have to say...

'54 Commander Starliner
                              '51 Commander biz coupe
                              or the one that really takes the cake... remember that old President business coupe that was up on eBay a while back? it was even black too! DROOOOOL!

nate

--
                              55 Commander Starlight
                              62 Daytona hardtop
                              --
                              55 Commander Starlight
                              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
                              X