This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quite a Sight!

While driving Northeast on I76 about a half mile from home it became apparent that the Great Race course today includes Southwest I76 into Denver. We enjoyed watching several miles of great cars pass by although we didn't spot any studes. I just found that tomorrow is a day off for the teams so we're going to see if we can catch up with them in Westminster and get a longer look at them.

My wife thinks she'd like to do this but I just looked at the rules and am not sure we're quite up to it.

Gerry

3000+ miles without Radial Tires (among other things you can not have!) I think I'll just watch!

Dallas,Texas

Comment

Does anyone else remember how the bias-ply tires used to bump till the rubber warmed up in the morning?

Lotsa Larks!
      Studeclunker
      A.K.A: out2lunch
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Those were nylon belted tires that did the bumping til they warmed up as I recall.

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

Does anyone else remember how the bias-ply tires used to bump till the rubber warmed up in the morning?

Lotsa Larks!
        Studeclunker
        A.K.A: out2lunch
        Sam Roberts

Comment

I used to put 35K miles a year on bias ply tires. We didn't know anything better and they worked just fine. I remember bias-belted tires as being a poor stop-gap measure used until the US tire manufacturers got their production switched over to radial tires. I first used radial tires on my own car on a regular basis when I installed a set of Michelins on my 1966 Charger. Back then, people used to stop me to tell me that I had a low tire or I was getting a flat. The original equipment bias ply tires (two plies, IIRC) on my 1964 Fury lasted for 15K miles (about five months). The Michelin radials that I put on my 1966 Charger had about 50K miles on them when I sold the car. I have no problem with the use of bias ply tires on vehicles that were designed for their use and the vehicles are only occasionally driven and mostly in good weather. For year round use on an everyday driver, I prefer radial tires.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I do remember the thump as it was just ten years ago I removed the original 7.60/15's from my 53.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I also remember the squeeling on cornering and the course changing from small grooves in the road.
              There's just no comparison, the radials really are great.
              /H

Comment

I agree about the radials. I've had them on my Lark for quite a while now and they ride and handle much better than the old bias ply tires. I sure do remember the thump, thump of those nylon cord tires. They would smooth out after they warmed up and that was just something we dealt with. That's the way it was.
                Since I don't care about judging and trophies, I'm sticking with radials.
                Rog
                '59 Lark Regal Hardtop
                '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

See page 29 of July Turning Wheels, Judges will not deduct if you have radials as long as all five match and are the correct size.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                  X