PDA

View Full Version : Engine painting question

new53
07-01-2005, 01:18 PM
Maybe a dumb question, but I'm replacing the water pump and thermoastat housing on a 53 HT. The housing is elbow shaped (the original elbow was drilled for an aftermarket temp sensor). I'm painting the outside of the housing the original olive color to match the block. I've cleaned out the crud inside the new elbow, but should the inside be finished? I know the coolant has rust inhibitors, but should it be sealed? primed? treated? The same painting question applies to the water pump manifold too.
Thanks.

G. Howes

Roscomacaw
07-01-2005, 01:44 PM
Not really. Fact is, any paint you put in there won't last very long.[}:)] Maybe if you used some state-of-the-art epoxy coating or something, but on one that I know bothers with this.[8D]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

new53
07-01-2005, 05:19 PM
Thanks. I'll just clean the insides as best I can, and keep them dry.

By the way, I cleaned the dirt off the parts, then used "RustBeeter" a sugar beet based non-toxic rust remover for the first time. It worked great - I had to soak the part for a few days. For homebrewers out there it looks/smells like a watery malt extract. I don't know if anyone else has tried it, but it worked for me. I'm eager to see if it works on other parts. You can read about it at www.rustbeeter.com if you're interested.

G. Howes

52hawk
07-01-2005, 07:25 PM
I saw the ad for Rustbeeter in OLD CARS WEEKLY. Can you drink it?
Seriously,keep us posted about this stuff,
i'd like to know how it works.

Everybody's Uncle Used To Have One!

hank63
07-01-2005, 09:53 PM
I have used molasses and water, 1 part molasses to 30 parts water. It works, but is a bit on the nose. (Molasses is a by-product from making sugar from sugar cane. I bought mine from a stock-feed (animal feed) place.)
You immerse the rusty item and pull it out every couple of days to check the progress. Once the rust is gone, rinse, dry and oil or paint to stop rust forming. Do not leave in the "bath", when the rust is gone, the solution will start attacking the metal.
A very rusty old screw-type jack took 10 days to clean.
/H