PDA

View Full Version : '55 President oil pump

RHO
06-26-2005, 09:24 AM
Need a source for oil pump rebuild.

Thanks

52hawk
06-26-2005, 09:40 AM
Studebaker International- phone 317-462-3124.

kit--$74.00
Are those fins supposed to be on there?from the factory?

RHO
06-26-2005, 02:57 PM
I got the oil pump off the '55 President today and found the top all crushed in like someone had stepped on it off the car or beat on it with a hammer; quite a few fatigue cracks in it from that as well. I cannot think of any "normal" scenario where the top of the pump would be caved in like that. When I drained the oil from the engine, the first two quarts or so were clear water; not sure if that's necessarily a bad sign or not. Haven't yet pulled the rod s or mains, but nothing looks "unusual" under there yet. This engine was locked up.

Roscomacaw
06-26-2005, 03:34 PM
Are you talking about the PUMP being crushed or the oil pickup head? I can't see the pump being "crushed" by anything but a hydraulic press.[:0]

As to the water - it's certainly not a good sign.[V] If that engine's stuck, you'll have to work at getting it UNstuck. Maybe a diet Coke soak or total immersion in a water trough.[}:)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

RHO
06-26-2005, 03:40 PM
Yes, the pickup head that houses the filter screen. The pump cleaned up pretty good. We soaked the engine in Marvel Mystery oil for weeks and it never freed up. Heads are off and nothing appears abnormal yet. The story I got was the car was driveable, then was just parked for a couple weeks and then after that locked up.... a bit strange. I have another locked up engine that we will rebuild; have not started tearing it down yet. We soaked it in MMO for weeks as well.

Roscomacaw
06-26-2005, 07:07 PM
Along those lines..... I've got a 289 here that came out of a 63 Cruiser. It was a running car when I got it, although it smoked oil smoke QUITE badly!:( Thing is, it would start right up every time I had to move it. BTW, it always had good oil pressure.
One day, I dropped in a fresh battery and proceeded to crank the thing. It spun a bit as I waited for it to draw up some fuel. Sounding only as tho I'd let go of the key - it just stopped. Further tries at making it spin, just caused the solenoid to click - no more turning.
I was irked that I couldn't move the car and seeing that the solenoid was working right and the starter was drawing current, I decided the starter had fried. Since I had plenty of spares, I grabbed another one and swapped it for the "fried" starter. Back on the key, I got one "clunk" and the engine still refused to turn.
Now I'm losing my patience. All I wanted to do was move the car so I could disc some weeds under! Grrrrrr..
I get back under the car and use a B-A screwdriver to try and turn the torque converter via it's ring gear. NO GO.:( Then I went and got a 3/4"drive ratchet and socket and try turning the engine from the front. NO GO[xx(]
Well, I was gonna part the darned thing out anyway. And that's what happened with it. That engine is still in one piece and under a workbench in my shop. Someday I'm gonna tear into it and find out just what the heck locked up![}:)] Whatever went wrong, it won't budge in either direction.[8]
I've got another 289 that came out of a 56 Sky Hawk. This was a car that had been abandoned in a local field and set there for at least a dozen or more years.
The car went to some cusstomizers torch (and never has reemerged since it went into seclusion some 10 years ago) and I was given the complete but locked up engine.
I tore the engine down and it actualy looked pretty decent inside, but it refused to turn no matter what. So, I put it on an engine stand and started squirting oil and penetrant into the bores every now and then. After several years of this treatment, I decided to try one day and see if it would turn. After a few generous grunts on a pry bar that was wedged between flywheel bolts, the crank moved about an 1/8th of an inch![:0] And with a bit of working it back and forth, I finally got it to turn 360:D Maybe someday I'll find a home for it.[^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS