PDA

View Full Version : pinion seal

Dingleberry
06-23-2005, 09:10 AM
I have a pinion seal leaking on my '59 Lark VI. The guy I bought the car from said that he replaced the seal but it was a temporary fix as the pinion bearing has lots of slop and would leak again. Am I better off to rebuild the the rear end and are those parts available or should I buy a new rear-end? I read another post that SASCO sells the whole rear end assembly. What is the best way to go?

Thanks,
Paul

Paul Leske
'59 Lark VI

Transtar60
06-23-2005, 11:58 AM
Heck, the best deal if you are close to South Bend, drive down to SASCO and pickup a new Model 27. Like the other poster said the pinion seal on the NOS is probably dead but no big deal to replace. They are bare, you'll have to transfer the brakes and lines. It should have the axles tho.

I bought two Model 27TT's 15 years ago or so(when it was still Newman & Altman)and they still had 44's with TT available then. Man I regret not buying them. They'd be like gold now. I faintly remember they were on sale for $125 for 27's and a little more for the 44's.

Roscomacaw
06-23-2005, 12:58 PM
I'm with you. Charlie. Wish I'd socked away some of that sort of thing and HAWK TRIM! - ANY trim, back then. Talk about your "precious metals"! Damned trim was SO cheap 20 years ago - even by the value of the dollar then, the stuff was cheap!
BTW, when I checked the SASCO website the other day, the ONLY 27 they showed available was the non-TT 3.73 axle. Of course, it never hurts to call and ask. That on-line inventory doesn't always tell the truth!;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Dingleberry
06-24-2005, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the advice. I guess it's a shame that I cant just rebuild the one that I have. I doubt that I have or need TT so that will be the route I will most likely take. I am in Chicago, but I do all my major repair work at my farmette in SW WI. It sounds like a good excuse for a road trip to IN. I just need to borrow a vehicle to haul it with. I havent been to South Bend since the 80's so it could be fun.

quote:Originally posted by Transtar60

Heck, the best deal if you are close to South Bend, drive down to SASCO and pickup a new Model 27. Like the other poster said the pinion seal on the NOS is probably dead but no big deal to replace. They are bare, you'll have to transfer the brakes and lines. It should have the axles tho.

I bought two Model 27TT's 15 years ago or so(when it was still Newman & Altman)and they still had 44's with TT available then. Man I regret not buying them. They'd be like gold now. I faintly remember they were on sale for $125 for 27's and a little more for the 44's.

Paul Leske
'59 Lark VI

cosmo
06-24-2005, 10:03 AM
CHeck out this site see if they can help you. http://www.ring-pinion.com/
I was going to try to upgrade my 373 to a 410, but unfortunatly i have D27 rear end and the 410 gear wont fit. now if i had a D44 that would of been a different story.

Transtar60
06-24-2005, 12:19 PM
Sorry Paul I didnt mean to imply that yours cant be rebuilt. D27's were used in many other applications , primarily as front axles for various Jeeps(including V8 Wagoneers). Simply would be more time/effort efficient to use a NOS one since they are available relatively cheap(and un worn).

Bearings/races and seals should be available at any good parts store.

http://www.ring-pinion.com/ has lots of rear axle information.

DEEPNHOCK
06-24-2005, 03:34 PM
You might try running over and talking to your local 4 wheel drive truck shop. These guys tear into (and tear up[}:)]) diffs and transfer cases all the time and Dana 44's are a dime a dozen there. A model 27 would be easy for them. Since your PO said it was sloppy, it probable just needs setting up again with a new seal and lock nut. I like the SASCO r&r idea, but that could involve more freight than the whole job might cost.
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Dingleberry

I have a pinion seal leaking on my '59 Lark VI. The guy I bought the car from said that he replaced the seal but it was a temporary fix as the pinion bearing has lots of slop and would leak again. Am I better off to rebuild the the rear end and are those parts available or should I buy a new rear-end? I read another post that SASCO sells the whole rear end assembly. What is the best way to go?

Thanks,
Paul

Paul Leske
'59 Lark VI

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
'37 Coupe Express
'37 Coupe Express Trailer
'61 Hawk
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

big jim
06-27-2005, 06:24 PM
paul...are u sure that is a model 27 in your lark? might check b/m number on top of p/s axle tube to be sure. also since you are i chicheck with midwest-motive gear they have genuine dana at a reasonable price.