how do you put car on blocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you put car on blocks

does anyone know the correct way of putting the stude on blocks for long storage ; do you place the blocks so the car rests on the main chassy so the sp rings flop down or wat is best thks for any help . pete

Well pete, first off, ya gotta have a jack![}] Then, yes, support the frame and not the suspension. At least - that would be MY approach.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I don't know which is best, but probably the most common method is to put jackstands under the front crossmember where it crosses the frame and on or near the front of the rear spring mount. Using that method the springs do not take a "collapsed" set from long storage. That does put more stress on the front end of the frame from engine weight however. Maybe not as big a problem if you have a lighter 6 cyl. car.

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

well on my 63 lark the front suspension is stuffed eg. front springs are shot as well as all the bushes etc the back is all good the car has very high miles about 300000 miles on the clock and had 22 owners so the car needs fixing up its a usa cruiser right hand drive bought over to nz

Comment

Well then, in that case the under the outer ends of the front lower control arms and outer ends of the rear axle tubes method will also work fine, just put it high enough to have a inch or so clearance under the tires.

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Blocks? No!
            [u](Cinder blocks, cement blocks, concrete blocks... NEVER!)</u>
            Jackstands.. Yes!
            Jackstands under the rear spring mount pads under the axle tube.
            Jacksands under the front a-arms out toward the spindle.
            Weight of vehicle should rest on the suspension.
            Spray a light oil on the front shock rods to prevent corrosion.
            Grease the suspension when putting it up there.
            In fact, repack the front wheel bearings now, so you are ready to go in confidence when you bring it out.
            Adjust the brakes too. Nows the best time.
            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by pete

does anyone know the correct way of putting the stude on blocks for long storage ; do you place the blocks so the car rests on the main chassy so the sp rings flop down or wat is best thks for any help . pete

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
            Brooklet, Georgia
            '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
            '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
            '61 Hawk (project)
            http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Well Pete, here in the states, every redneck knows how to put a vehicle up on blocks because they always have at least one in the yard parked in that manner. Since you're in New Zealand, I suggest you take a plane flight to Tasmania and look around because my Aussie fiancee says the "Tazzies" are southern hemisphere rednecks!

Comment

Wouldn't you hafta set the "blocks" ON TOP of the car - down under?[:0][)]

OH! And on the serious side, I'd fill the gas tank and add some of that gasoline stabilzer stuff. Drain the cooling system - and this includes the block drains as well.

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Nuthin wrong with putting good stands out as far as possible (near the springs) on the rear axle housing.

As for the front, be very carefull if you put the stands on the lower control arms. Put the stand right where the pocket for the spring ends...to the outside of the car. Then be carefull when you lower it to make sure they don't slip around.

On the other hand...there's absolutly nothing wrong with putting the stands just behind the control arms on the frame (chassis). When I put a car up for any length of time, I also put a stand under the center of the front cross member for full frontal support.

I don't particularly like having the car sit fully on it's springs here in sunny So. Cal. It wouldn't take much of an earth quake to vibrate the car right off the stands! A solid support is better in my opinion.

Mike

Comment

I know folks have been putting cars "up on blocks" since...well, since there were cars. I'm not sure I've figured out WHY, however. What does it do good for? The suspension? If it was still being driven around, it would be on the ground...same as if you stored it on the ground. The tires? If you store it for 5 years or so you're going to need new tires anyhow due to age. I dunno. [?].

Seems to me that if it was stored on the ground, you'd be more tempted to fire it up and drive it every now and then.

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I remember way, way back in high school......
                      There was this time I was working on my Hawk and it was up on jackstands... My girlfriend came over and we were, uh, listening to the CONLRAD radio (WCFL AM 1000 in Chicago!) and during the one favorite song, the vibrations knocked the one jackstand over and the car fell off the jackstands.
                      No one was hurt in the incident, but I remember being told the earth moved (or something like that)
                      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten
                      &lt;snip&gt;
                      I don't particularly like having the car sit fully on it's springs here in sunny So. Cal. It wouldn't take much of an earth quake to vibrate the car right off the stands! A solid support is better in my opinion.

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                      Brooklet, Georgia
                      '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
                      '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
                      '61 Hawk (project)
                      http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:listening to the CONLRAD radio
                        One of these days someone will post the question,"Why does my radio have little triangles on the dial at 640 and 1240." Will they believe it's all about nuclear destruction?
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

thanks for all the susjestions except the red neck bit you see ive never put a car on blocks before for storage so i was just asking in case there was a wrong way of doing it and ive never been to taz

Comment

Working...
                          X