PDA

View Full Version : Rusty Seat Springs

bonehead007
06-20-2005, 08:00 AM
Just pulled the back seats out of the Avanti..Cleaned all the vinyl seats out & they look like new. The trouble is the springs in back for the bottom & top are rusted. Other than using a wire brush & possibly hand painting with rustoleum, is there an easier way to clean the springs ?

hank63
06-20-2005, 10:43 AM
Get a big tub, big enough to take the whole seat part. Put in 1 part molasses to 30 parts water and immerse the rusty item. Leave it submersed, check progress every few days. The solution actually eats away the rust. Smells a bit, though. Best done on acreage, where the neighbours aren't real close.
/ H

Mike
06-20-2005, 04:52 PM
I replaced the cover on my back rest, this Spring. The foam blocks were fine, but the burlap was rotten, and the springs were rusted.
With everything off the springs, I removed the worst of the rust by blasting with corn cob bits. I coated the springs with "LPS #3, Heavy Duty Rust Inhibitor". http://www.jtsmach.com/jtswebshop/Fluids/FL016.asp .
It drys to a waxey coating that lubes the joints, and won't scrape off or crack. I like it better than paint, for this.
Replacing the burlap, and attaching the cover around the pleated area, was time consuming; but doesn't require any special skill. The small extension springs are available for about 3 for a dollar; if you need them. I bought curved needles, and twine; and used that instead of hog rings, under the cover. Rings work best for the cover itself.
I plan to do the bottom cushion the same way, next Winter. Since I'll reuse the old cover, I anticipate having to take it apart and replace the fabric loop around the pleated area. It's probably rotten. It holds a wire, which is hog ringed or tied to the springs, to give the seat its shape.
Mike M.

Mike
06-21-2005, 03:23 PM
Here's a source for springs and burlap:
http://www.decoratorsupplyinc.com/springs.htm .
I got twine and curved needles from a local craft store.
Mike M.

64Avanti
06-26-2005, 01:47 AM
How common is it for the Avanti rear seat springs to be rusty. The 64 I bought for Bonneville also has very rusty seat springs. I don't know what the springs in the 73 look like but I will look.

David L

bonehead007
06-28-2005, 11:06 AM
Saw another Avanti seat on Ebay, same back seat, same color & same rusty springs. Guess 40+ years & depending how/where it was stored helps..Got a drill wire brush & started sanding the springs..Gonna try to sand em then, hand paint with rustoleum....