This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary to Milwaukee

In a few days, I will be driving the 1955 Commander to it's new owner in the Milwaukee area. Obviously there is a big lump in the road between here, and there, it is called Chicago. Is there any Chitown area people on the forum who can tell me what is my best route thru that less than desirable place to drive?

Would I do best coming in over thr Skyway, to the Dan Ryan, then using US-41 thru the northern burbs? I will probably need an R & R somewhere in that area. ( Read that a smoke break, and 30 cups of coffee! LOL )

Or, would I do better to use the Tri-State ( I-294 ) even though construction is heavy on the Kingery Exway I am told? I do know the Borman ExWay in Indiana is a perpetual POS!

Any info will be appreciated.

Sam Roberts

I haven't driven thru that area that much, or in a while. But if you get to the northern burbs, I'd just stay on I-94 (other than the smoke break stop). The biggest problem is getting thru the city itself on the Ryan. I have no idea what construction is like there, but if the by-pass has construction, traffic that way will be just as bad.

I'd make the trip at 4:00 AM .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Tom, thanks, but is there really a 4 AM? LOL We, me and my brother who will bring me back ( also he plans to carry the spare C-K Fenders in his truck ) are looking at the Chi metro around 11 AM-12 Noon. I just thought ( actually wishing ) that US-41 might be less frantic than the Tri-State on the north side. [?]

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

I haven't driven thru that area that much, or in a while. But if you get to the northern burbs, I'd just stay on I-94 (other than the smoke break stop). The biggest problem is getting thru the city itself on the Ryan. I have no idea what construction is like there, but if the by-pass has construction, traffic that way will be just as bad.

I'd make the trip at 4:00 AM .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
      Sam Roberts

Comment

We're in South Bend right now staring at that "big lump" on the map and wondering if there's a way around it. Our commitment to secondary roads is certainly being challanged. Chicago is ok but I'd rather avoid the traffic on this trip.

Gerry

Comment

Gerry, I forget your destination, but US-24 is not bad to the Peoria area. And, you can take Indiana 2 west from South Bend past the proving grounds to La Porte, and Valparaiso, then drop down to Indiana 10 to Illinois, and on to Kankakee then angle back north to I-80. Just be careful in Roselawn, there are 2 nudist parks there!

quote:Originally posted by gecoe

We're in South Bend right now staring at that "big lump" on the map and wondering if there's a way around it. Our commitment to secondary roads is certainly being challanged. Chicago is ok but I'd rather avoid the traffic on this trip.

Gerry
          Sam Roberts

Comment

Sam, our final desitnation is in Colorado but our trip meanders a bit. Our general route is OH-IN-IL-WI-MI-SD-WY-CO but we're flexible. I didn't have internet last night in Pines, IN so I didn't get your advice before we left this morning. Luckily we avoided the nudist camps by accident as we circumnavigated Chi Town on US 30 and IL 31. We stayed true to our commitment to use secondary roads on our trip but I'm not sure we accomplished much else. It was a long, hot trip. I'm writing from Richmond, IL tonight.

Gerry

Comment

I have the misfortune of living in Chicago so I can tell you that you are best off if you are coming from IN to avoid the Afro 500 (the Dan Ryan) and take I-294 in a big loop around the city. 294 will take you to 94 to Milwakee. Dont get caught anywhere near Chicago-area expressways from 6-9:30AM and 3:30-7PM. Time your approach wisely and you should be OK.

quote:Originally posted by Sam Roberts

In a few days, I will be driving the 1955 Commander to it's new owner in the Milwaukee area. Obviously there is a big lump in the road between here, and there, it is called Chicago. Is there any Chitown area people on the forum who can tell me what is my best route thru that less than desirable place to drive?

Would I do best coming in over thr Skyway, to the Dan Ryan, then using US-41 thru the northern burbs? I will probably need an R & R somewhere in that area. ( Read that a smoke break, and 30 cups of coffee! LOL )

Or, would I do better to use the Tri-State ( I-294 ) even though construction is heavy on the Kingery Exway I am told? I do know the Borman ExWay in Indiana is a perpetual POS!

Sam Roberts
              Paul Leske
              '59 Lark VI

Comment

Well, it will after 9:30 AM when we get to Chitown, and I did hear the Kingery was a war zone. Also, the Borman ( I-94 ) is a perpetual POS PITA! That is why I was considering the Indiana toll road to the Skyway, up the Dan Ryan to where US 41 goes off thru the northern burbs and just going that way. Only one vehicle coming back, so won't be so hectic. but, I appreciate your advice, and I will give it due consideration.

quote:Originally posted by Dingleberry

I have the misfortune of living in Chicago so I can tell you that you are best off if you are coming from IN to avoid the Afro 500 (the Dan Ryan) and take I-294 in a big loop around the city. 294 will take you to 94 to Milwakee. Dont get caught anywhere near Chicago-area expressways from 6-9:30AM and 3:30-7PM. Time your approach wisely and you should be OK.

Sam Roberts
                Paul Leske
                '59 Lark VI
                Sam Roberts

Comment

Sam,
                  Skip the Skyway...and the Dan Ryan..
                  The Skyway is all torn up and you have to pay for it too.
                  I drove 80 to 294 a few weeks ago and it was not bad, except for the construction traffic on 80 around the Ill/In border.
                  I would take 294 up north, and do it mid day...
                  Bring about $10 in quarters for the toll roads...
                  Jeff[8D]

Well, it will after 9:30 AM when we get to Chitown, and I did hear the Kingery was a war zone. Also, the Borman ( I-94 ) is a perpetual POS PITA! That is why I was considering the Indiana toll road to the Skyway, up the Dan Ryan to where US 41 goes off thru the northern burbs and just going that way. Only one vehicle coming back, so won't be so hectic. but, I appreciate your advice, and I will give it due consideration.

quote:Originally posted by Dingleberry

Sam Roberts
                  Paul Leske
                  '59 Lark VI
                  Sam Roberts
                  DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
                  '37 Coupe Express
                  '37 Coupe Express Trailer
                  '61 Hawk
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks Jeff, will consider what you say, I just have a phobia about Chicago in general I guess, that whole corner of Illinois is awful in my opinion.

[quote]Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Sam,
                    Skip the Skyway...and the Dan Ryan..
                    The Skyway is all torn up and you have to pay for it too.
                    I drove 80 to 294 a few weeks ago and it was not bad, except for the construction traffic on 80 around the Ill/In border.
                    I would take 294 up north, and do it mid day...
                    Bring about $10 in quarters for the toll roads...
                    Jeff[8D]

Sam Roberts

Comment

If you are in Richmond, IL you should travel through SW WI as it is just beautiful. You could take US 12 to US 14 and take that all the way to Lacrosse, a historic town on the Mississippi where you should be able to see some bald eagles. Wisconsin is my favorite state and I own a small 10 acre farm in Sauk County where I escape from this urban hellhole known as Chicago. I would highly recommend taking in some SW WI sights and dont miss a Friday night fish fry. Unfortunately I am stuck in the city this weekend or I would try to meet up with you and show you around.

Best,
                      Paul

quote:Originally posted by gecoe

Sam, our final desitnation is in Colorado but our trip meanders a bit. Our general route is OH-IN-IL-WI-MI-SD-WY-CO but we're flexible. I didn't have internet last night in Pines, IN so I didn't get your advice before we left this morning. Luckily we avoided the nudist camps by accident as we circumnavigated Chi Town on US 30 and IL 31. We stayed true to our commitment to use secondary roads on our trip but I'm not sure we accomplished much else. It was a long, hot trip. I'm writing from Richmond, IL tonight.

Gerry
                      Paul Leske
                      '59 Lark VI

Comment

Sam! You're not wrong having a'phobia about Chicago! But,I think you got the best advice you're gonna get[80-294-94].There's just no simple way to get around that big bump..without adding 100's of miles to the trip.
                        Just pay attention to the time of travel already mentioned,and you'll be fine.Some of us 'downstaters' think Chicago should become a seperate state!

Are those fins supposed to be on there?from the factory?
                        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Unless you want to run Lincoln Hyw (Rt. 30) and that is stop and go, then you are stuck with the Borman. Just hit it early or it will be stop and go. They are (perpetually) doing construction on it.
                          When you get to IL you may want to just continue west on I-80 to IL52 at Joliet and then get on it by going a couple miles north on I-55. Go west on 52 to 47 and then run 47 north. That is not too bad a highway but takes you to near Lake Geneva. Then get on I-43 and go toward Milwaukee.This will add several miles to your trip but is not too bad timewise. And it won't subtract years from your life. Even those of us who live in the Chicago area avoid the express/toll roads.
                          Mike

Mike

Comment

In a few days, I will be driving the 1955 Commander to it's new owner in the Milwaukee area.
                            I'm just now recovering from the shock of this statement. I didn't think you and the '55 would part company, Sam. [V]

Dave's Place
                            Studebaker Emporium
                            sigpic
                            Dave Lester

Comment

Dave,

Times change, and so do the circumstances. I have been replacing more parts due to inactivity than I would have by driving it more. To keep a car to drive 10 times, or less a year is not sensible to me, and in Indiana there is several months a year I did not want to expose it to the elements. Also, there are some other factors that have entered in, and I am not referring to health problems, at least none I know of. The fallout from this might surprise you even more!

quote:Originally posted by Studedude

In a few days, I will be driving the 1955 Commander to it's new owner in the Milwaukee area.
                              I'm just now recovering from the shock of this statement. I didn't think you and the '55 would part company, Sam. [V]

Dave's Place
                              Studebaker Emporium
                              Sam Roberts

Comment

Working...
                              X