PDA

View Full Version : distributor oil

curt
06-18-2005, 08:47 PM
I added oil to the tube in the distributor, after a 65 mph test run I have oil on the left outer side of the distributor, splats and quite a heavy oil slick on the shaft below the distributor's left side and some oil on the the left side towards the left head. I did adj the valves, the oil does not seem to be from the valve cover, the oil looks splashed on the distributor cap. when I replaced the points a few weeks ago much oil was inside the distributor at that time. Any thoughts? Can the distributor pump oil up and out? ??[V][V][xx(][?] This is a V 8 engine.

JDP
06-18-2005, 10:03 PM
Check the rubber oil pressure gage line, it may have a crack and be getting ready to let go. ( A bad thing)

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
55 Speedster
50 2R 10 truck

curt
06-19-2005, 08:12 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head, the rubber line where it connects to the metailc tubing is wet with oil. It must spray and then drop just over the distributor. The line above the fat rubber is metal???[?][?] I'm new to Studebakers, are any of the venders I can find on the Clubs listing of venders likely to have the rubber line?

curt
06-19-2005, 09:18 AM
JPD, nice home page, I can't find where to sing the guest book.

gordr
06-19-2005, 02:13 PM
Curt,

I expect that MOST, if not all of the general Studebaker vendors will have that hose. Certainly SASCO, Studebaker International, and studebakerparts.com will have it. The hose fits many Studebaker models, but I've never found a substitute that fits any other car. A hydraulic hose shop could probably make you up a substitute that'll work, but it won't be nearly as neat.

Order TWO of the hoses, and carry the spare in the glove box. They are relatively cheap, but make a big mess when they fail. Nice to have a spare on hand, and if you are at a Stude meet when someone has a hose break, you can save the day for them.

You can probably get the hose with 24 hours, but if want to drive the car in the meantime, you could remove the hose from the head and install a 1/8" pipe plug in its place.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

curt
06-19-2005, 02:48 PM
Gord, that sounds like excellent advice. I will purchase two rubber conectors. What is the reason for the rubber ? I suspect to lesson the shock to the oil gauge of a rapid pressure change.[?]

JDP
06-19-2005, 06:09 PM
The copper line would break very quickly without a hose bacause of engine movement.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
55 Speedster
50 2R 10 truck