PDA

View Full Version : engine code

ernie
06-18-2005, 11:48 AM
Hi
Can anyone help. I just bought a 64 Studebaker Dayton .
The body number beings with a C ,the fire wall number starts
with V-y8 and the engine number has an 8 over a 7 digit number.
What engine size is this?
Any other info would help.Thanks!
Ernie

Swifster
06-18-2005, 12:10 PM
I can give you a partial answer. The number on the engine will tell you the engine size. This is the breakdown on the numbers/letters you supplied.

CV - Y8 means this is a LWB 4-DR. Daytona with a V-8 built in Canada. So this is either a 259 or a 289. If the car has a 4-bbl, it's most likely (but no guarantee) that it's a 289.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)

Roscomacaw
06-18-2005, 12:35 PM
Actualy Tom, his firewall (body) tag reads only V-Y8 - which interprets to a V8 Daytona 4-door
He says his "body number" (what he really means is SERIAL number) starts with a C which is how Canadian-built editions of 64 models would have been serialized after the beginning of the 1964 calendar year. Earlier '64 Canadian-built Studes would have had their serial numbers start out like: 64VC-***** for V8 cars OR 64SC-***** if it was a 6cylinder car.

Ernie, is this engine number ALL numeric digits or is it prefaced by some letters? Sounds like you're alluding to a raised casting number - not an engine number. The engine numbers are STAMPED into the metal of the engine block - front, top left corner of the block, right near where the left head meets the block. Wipe away the grunge and you'll find it. If it starts with a V it's a 259 - if it starts with a P it's a 289.[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS