PDA

View Full Version : overdrive lock out

dolphin
06-18-2005, 03:41 AM
Can the overdrive lockout be pulled out while the vehicle is moving? If so what is the procedure... clutch pedal depressed etc? 1953 3/4 ton pickup with three speed and od. Thanks.

studeclunker
06-18-2005, 12:23 PM
Yes. In fact that's generally when it's done. You just can't dis-engage the OD till the car comes to a complete (or nearly) stop.[:I]

Pull it out and back off on the accelerator a bit. You will feel the car/truck begin to free-wheel and the engine rpm's drop. You're engaged!:D That's all there is too it.

When the OD is engaged there is a lot of slippage. I don't know how all this works. I do know that one's milage increases dramatically on the open road. There is a switch on the top rear of the engine that cuts out the OD when hard acceleration is required. Mr Biggs could explain the details I'm sure.

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker
A.K.A: out2lunch

Roscomacaw
06-18-2005, 01:52 PM
While below 25 or so MPH, accelerate a bit and pull the handle out all the way. If you're IN Overdrive, stomp the gas pedal so that the tranny goes into passing (conventional) mode and pull out the handle while it's not in OD.
You can push the lever back in (to OD mode) while moving at any time. Just accelerate a bit as you do so.

OF course, you can move the handle in or out while standing still. Since we live on flairly flat terrain, I rarely take the Transtar out of OD mode. There's no need to!
Only when we venture into the mountains do I take it out of OD for reasons of having dynamic braking on downhill stretches.;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

curt
06-18-2005, 03:07 PM
Mr.Biggs- That is how the Kaiser Over Drive is engaged & disengaged. It is a Borg Warner and I think Studebaker's OD is BW also. Kaiser's OD will drop rpms 30%, and the car is super on interestats with OD. I'm sure the Studebaker is Super on interestates with OD. Second over is great for pulling Mountains with a six cylinder engine. My V-8 has no overdrive, I think it will do ok in the mountains, some day I will try.:)

studeclunker
06-18-2005, 06:53 PM
You can take it out of OD while moving???[:0] Wow!! I honestly did'nt know that. Well just goes to show you learn something new every day!!

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker
A.K.A: out2lunch

Roscomacaw
06-18-2005, 09:29 PM
curt, it's the same basic tranny that your Kaiser used, Ford used, AMC used and many others. This is not to say one will bolt right up to the other but by and large they're all versions of Borg-Warner trannies. Post WWII, Stude mainly used the B-W T-96, T-86, T-89 & T-85 3spd O/D trans's for their different car and truck applications where 3spd O/D was specified. And even within a given trans model, there were often different gear ratios used to best coincide with the various rear axle ratios offered.:D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

rockne10
06-19-2005, 03:49 PM
In the mountains of Pennsylvannia I've gotten accustomed to tromping the accelerator just before cresting a hill and, once in direct third gear, pull the lockout cable to save brakes and hair follicles on the way down the other side. Never pull lockout if you're cruising in OD.