This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• studebaker newbys help

My father and I are going to race in the Great race this go around. He just bought a 51 Champion sight unseen. We will be flying to West Virgina to pick up the car and then head to DC. for the start. We are in need of a little help. We need a Studebaker friendly brake shop between Huntington West Virgina and Washington DC. If any one can help it would be greatly appreicated. Thanks Joe

Sight unseen - and you're going to enter it in a rally? Best of luck to you, Joe. You're gonna need it.
    If you were out on my coast, I'd volunteer to do your brakes but I can't help you. I'll try and find out who can tho.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

He saw pretty pictures and it looks beautiful. So what could possibly be wrong mechanically???? (YIKES) What can I say my 65 year old father is a true adventurer (and a nut). Like I said we are new to the wonderful world of Studebakers. The car has 37,000 original miles and no one knows the maintaince. I am replacing a few parts before we start (water pump, fuel pump, hoses, belts, etc) But from what I have read the drums require a special tool for removal. I have ordered new wheel cylinder kits but am afraid I will not be able to get the drums off. We will be traveling across Virgina so we can stop to have the breaks done (along with the cooling system, fuel deliverly system, igntion system, charging system, drive train, transmission, eieio if needed). I just hate to take it to a shop that is not Studebaker Friendly. Any suggestions about ANYTHING to do with this car are GREATLY appreciated. Joe

Comment

Buy a puller from one of the Stude parts vendors. If you screw up one drum trying to tease it off incorrectly, the cost will outweigh the initial cost of the puller. Any other puller than the right one is sure to give you grief.
        Yeah - we just had one forum member buy a "Pretty pictures" car in Los Angeles and fly out to drive it home (at a leisurely pace, no less) to New York. The seller said he thought there was a little problem with the overdrive.[}] Right![V] We're waiting for Justin to write the book about his challenges on that trek.
        Not saying you guys couldn't have gotten lucky. We had another forum member buy a 50 or 51 and drive it with very minor problems from NY to OK.
        I've called a friend in W.Va and asked about a Stude-friendly garage but he drew a blank. I think you'll find most garages will be REAL reluctant to even let the Stude on their lifts. To them, it might as well have landed from Mars. They'll be SURE that it'll be so weird that they won't have a clue or access to parts. And the brakes on the 51 thru 53 ARE a bit different from anything later.
        Good luck and be sure to let us know what the car turns out to really be like and how well your race run goes.
        As far as prepping it goes, assuming it runs, I'd take it for a cautious shakedown run and see that all works as it should. Engine, tranny & overdrive (I hope it has overdrive!) and of course, the brakes.
        Then I'd change all the rubber hoses and belt and so on. Check the fluids and give the thing a thorough lube job. If the brakes work decent (the 51 edition brakes are not gonna stand the car on it's nose!) and the shoes have good life left in them, I'd leave them alone.
        Tires? 5 good ones? If they're old, I'd put radials on it if that's allowed by race rules. P195X75-15s would be just right for a 51 Champion
        There's probably more you could do as preparation but not with the limited time you have at hand.[)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I hope you have made arrangements with the Greatrace Organization, they won't let you just show up and run. Your car has to go through an intensive technical inspections among other things.
          Studestu

Comment

That's what I was thinking.[}]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

and I think there is at least a 6 month waiting list before your vehicle is approved.

Comment

Tech Inspection for the Great Race requires the car to be completely stock plus turn signals (not an issue). We were lined up to race in the tour class, with a restored 63 International Scout 80. We have made all the arrangements for the change in vehicles. The issue is not passing inspection but making the the car reliable for a 4400 mile trip. Any advise other than drive the International?
                Any infomation is greatly <s>needed</s> appreciated. Joe
                Mr. Biggs thanks for the information on the brake drum puller.

Comment

When we can find internet access we will keep you post on the progress of the little car that could.

Comment

Joeker

It's John Poulos, you were trying to buy my truck on ebay. I have a puller here in Arnold Md if I can help. (about a hour from DC.)

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
                    64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
                    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                    55 Speedster
                    50 2R 10 truck
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

Joe,
                      I don't know when the Great Race is scheduled for, but if you have time, go to the home page of the SDC website and click on SDC Store. You'll see the Glove Box Guide when you scroll down. It lists parts and service for Studes listed by state.
                      I wonder if that would help you.
                      Whatever you do, you and your dad sound like adventurers and I wish you luck.
                      Rog
                      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                      Smithtown,NY
                      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Thanks Studeroger, that list will surely be an invaluable tool on the road.

Comment

Working...
                        X