PDA

View Full Version : Champ steering column HELP!!

studeclunker
06-15-2005, 08:13 PM
Isn't there anyone out there who knows how to get the top of this steering collum off? I can't find anything in either the shop or chassis manuals. HELP!![:0] Please!! I'm desperate. I really need to get this truck going. There aren't any of these available in the local junk yards. I don't want to put the mickey mouse floor shift adapter back on.

To recap: It's a '62 Champ 1/2 ton long bed.

Thanks in advance...[:I]

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker
A.K.A: out2lunch

Transtar60
06-15-2005, 10:05 PM
Studeclunker what do you mean by "top of the steering column??
If you take the steering wheel and horn parts out, loosen the bottom clamp and dash clamp and slide the steering jacket out the back window(helps if you have the sliding rear window). I cant remember what holds the "cup" to the jacket as its been 5 years since I took one apart.

I can do more research tommorow,(I have a broken one out in the shed) but basically its the same as Lark steering column shift mechanism.
Perhaps the car shop manual will shed some light.

Dwain G.
06-15-2005, 11:19 PM
If the shop manual you are using is the 2E to 8E book, go to Group IV, Transmission section, pages 18 and 19. The instructions there for 5E series are the same for your 7E.

Dwain G.

studeclunker
06-17-2005, 05:03 PM
Dwain,
I don't currently have the shop manual for the Champ.[:I] I have been trying to extrapolate the Lark manual information to this application. They are very similar in construction. Is it possible for you to scan the referrence and e-mail it to me?[8)]

Thanks in advance...

Transtar60,
It's that cup that's located underneath the horn assy. and attached to the steering jacket. But the question is, how is it attached to the jacket? I can't get to the little bugger's connection in the bloody jacket!! Grrrrr...:(

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker

Roscomacaw
06-17-2005, 05:35 PM
When you say "cup" (under the horn assy), I'm thinking the housing that the T/S switch resides in - is that right? If so, there's two 1/4 bolts with funky, square heads that hold that housing to the column tube. The square heads are away from you as you sit in the drivers seat and what you see once you get the steering wheel off is the two nuts that tighten up on those funky bolts. Both those nuts have to be removed and in so doing you release the grip the square heads have on the slots in the steering tube. (You might have to jiggle the bolts around a bit - especially the upper one - to make them let go)
Once the housing is lifted away, the shift collar can come off (assuming you've already taken the shift lever out) Once that's off (assuming the shifter rods are disconnected, the wires for the T/S switch are disconnected from their rubber block and the tube-to-sector clamp's been loosened, the outer tube and shifter tube should slide right off.[}:)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

studeclunker
06-18-2005, 11:43 AM
ok... The outer housing with the shifter assy. is already off the steering shaft/bar(?). I have removed the turn signal assy. There was no shifter lever when I got the truck. I have one from my other Champ that I tried out to see if it would fit. I then took it out. So no shift lever in the way. I can see nothing that would prevent this *##*** thing from coming out but there's something that holds it in place. The tube that the shift levers attatch to at the bottom of the housing slides up and down, but won't come out. It hangs up with the shift lever housing on the top because of the spring and seat on the bottom. The part I need to remove is the housing that attaches to the top of the shaft (shift collar?). It's like there's a spring clip somewhere I can't see or something. I'm ready to start using a cold chisel and hammer.

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker

Roscomacaw
06-18-2005, 12:43 PM
Let's use the illustration #s for definition here. What won't come off???

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/906179/1121034356290_S2400418.JPG

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

studeclunker
06-18-2005, 05:26 PM
0756-31 is the part that the shift lever fits into. This is what I'm having trouble with. Great idea with the picture by the way!:D I wish I knew how to do that.
I can see the castleated form of 0756-33 but have no knowledge of where 0756-38 is. is '38 a spring clip that is driving me nuts???

Once I get '31 out of the way, I will be able to slip the inner collum shift shaft out and replace it with the good one. It's just getting it out of the way.

Thanks for having patience with me. I'm going nuts here. I really need to get this truck going.

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker