PDA

View Full Version : 289 oil filter

studelover
03-06-2007, 08:31 PM
I took apart the filtration assembly and need some clarification. The filter had a big nut on the bottom. Does the theaded part unscrew from the filter bottom ? There are two lines on this assembly. One goes into the filter bottom however my other line was cut, where does the other line go? Where can I get another filter?

Studebakers forever!

StudeRich
03-07-2007, 03:05 AM
No need to take it all apart, just replace the cut/broken line with a flex hose made up from "Weatherhead" brand barbed press-on brass fittings on 5/16" oil line hose. One line goes into the oil filler pipe for "return" the other comes off of the front of the left cylinder head pressure source. I think the outside of the filter base has the return fitting hole, center is the pressure, it's pictured in the Shop Manual. You should not need a new filter unit, the element is a Fram PB50.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

studelover
03-07-2007, 03:41 AM
I see, The line is cut because someone did not take the time to unbolt it during disassembly. My filter is crushed because someone put a spin on filter wrench on it and tried to spin it off. So I need to replace it. I will call around tomorrow, I will also check on the line. thanks!

Studebakers forever!

Mike
03-07-2007, 04:51 AM
Generally, on oil and fuel filters, "IN" is around the outside. "OUT" is from the center. There is more room around the outside for for trapped particles. If the filter has drain back, bypass, or relief valves built in, they are designed to work in that direction.
Don't forget, one of the fittings has a restriction to limit flow through the bypass filter.
Mike M.