PDA

View Full Version : Third Time's a Charm (Lark Story)

Dingleberry
06-12-2005, 12:06 PM
I just bought back the car I owned in high school (yes, the exact one) and thought some of you might enjoy this story:

I bought a 1959 Lark VI Regal 4 door while in high school from a farmer near Anna, IL. I always loved the car but my young manhood was a little damaged when I went to visit a girl I had the hots for and she pointed at my “Tahiti Coral” Stude and laughed, “It’s pink!!” I eventually recovered from that, graduated from high school in ’83, loaded all my worldly possessions in the back seat and trunk of the Lark and moved 375 miles north to Chicago.

I had the car in the city for a year or two, but being a young knucklehead, wanted something bigger, faster & less “pink” so I traded the Stude and some cash for a ’70 Mercury Marauder X100. I ended up wrapping that around a telephone pole in Indiana one rainy night but that is another story entirely.

I few years later I bought the Lark back and decided that I was going to start restoring it and proceeded to dismantle it in my grandfather’s garage. Unfortunately, my first marriage started to turn sour, my daughter was a toddler and I found myself strapped for cash with no means to work on the car. My grandfather was storing junk bikes on top of it and was using the hood for a workbench, so the car was deteriorating quickly. Luckily I was able to sell the car to a coworker that some of you know, Greg Lentini, back in 1991.

Well, years passed, I got custody of my daughter, remarried and started a successful career in real estate. I never bought any other Studebakers but I did get into aircooled VWs as a hobby and even had a ’56 Packard Executive a couple of years back. I just turned 40 in April and started to reminisce about the old Lark and looked up Greg and called him out of the blue. He had put the car back together, repainted it (still Tahiti Coral), put in a rebuilt motor and did quite a bit of other work to it. It turns out that he had driven the car only once in the last year and was thinking about selling, so my luck was perfect and I bought the car once again.

Most mid-life crises have to do with Corvettes, Porsches or similar convertible toy cars. Mine seems to be exhibiting itself in the form of a little “pink” Studebaker.

65cruiser
06-12-2005, 12:10 PM
Great story. Where are the pictures (inquiring minds want to know)?:D

Dingleberry
06-12-2005, 12:22 PM
Here is a link to pictures, as per your request;

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kaefer@ameritech.net/album?.dir=/f324

Best,
Paul

quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser

Great story. Where are the pictures (inquiring minds want to know)?:D

Paul Leske
'59 Lark VI

65cruiser
06-12-2005, 12:37 PM
Well, ain't she sweet! I love Larks. You have a really nice example. Hey, do you have a split manifold on her? I noticed dual exhausts sticking out the back.

Danarchy
06-12-2005, 01:26 PM
Nice Car, but the girl was right it's PINK!
Nothing wrong with that, and you can call it “Tahiti Coral” all you want.:D
And what is up with the dual exhausts on the 6?[8]

Dallas,Texas

Danarchy
06-12-2005, 01:33 PM
http://img71.echo.cx/img71/8319/2ecf9fv.th.jpg

Dallas,Texas

Roscomacaw
06-12-2005, 02:09 PM
I LIKE that color! Good lookin' Stude and great story! There's a bunch of Studes in my past that I wish I could find again!:(
Of course - it's not like I don't have enough of them already![xx(]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Dingleberry
06-12-2005, 05:47 PM
That second exhaust is a dummy setup and I removed it already (actually it kinda fell off).

quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser

Well, ain't she sweet! I love Larks. You have a really nice example. Hey, do you have a split manifold on her? I noticed dual exhausts sticking out the back.

Paul Leske
'59 Lark VI

studeclunker
06-12-2005, 05:58 PM
Looks like Greg did a bang up job on your little sweetpea. She's really beautiful.
You know, my uncle had a 59 Imperial and took it down in the mid 60's to have it repainted. He chose what he thought to be a beige colour. Uncle Will said more than once "I should have thought to take those colour templates outside." They did a beautiful job painting the car. Will was really pleased when he picked it up. Of course the car was inside when he did. Upon arriving home he discovered the colour to be sweetpea pink!! His wife was thrilled, she loved it. She thought that he had chosen the colour for her. Unfortuneatly it was his work car. It took my uncle a long time to live down that pink Imperial. My poor aunt still wants it back.

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker
A.K.A: out2lunch

studegary
06-12-2005, 08:46 PM
I never considered that coral to be pink. IIRC, Dale E's first race car was pink ('55 Chevy ?).

raprice
06-12-2005, 09:03 PM
I love the story about the Lark. My car is a '59 Lark Regal Hardtop and the color is (drum roll please) Tahiti Coral. Yes it's pink, but I get an incredible number of interesting comments about my car from people.
Especially women. They love the car. Men do too.
In fact, in my local AACA Region, I take a lot of good natured ribbing about the color. But, they love my car and so do I.
Of my 3 vintage cars, my Lark is the favorite.
Rog

Dingleberry
06-12-2005, 09:10 PM
Yeah...I must admit I like the color too...more now than when I was 17. The color is so outrageously "period" that it really stands out. I forgot what a slug it was though. My '66 Beetle with stock 1300 motor is a rocket by comparison and the Lark is about as slow as my '55 VW single cab pickup. In spite of that I am really excited to have my Lark back after all these years.

quote:Originally posted by studeroger

I love the story about the Lark. My car is a '59 Lark Regal Hardtop and the color is (drum roll please) Tahiti Coral. Yes it's pink, but I get an incredible number of interesting comments about my car from people.
Especially women. They love the car. Men do too.
In fact, in my local AACA Region, I take a lot of good natured ribbing about the color. But, they love my car and so do I.
Of my 3 vintage cars, my Lark is the favorite.
Rog

Paul Leske
'59 Lark VI

steve_smith54
06-12-2005, 09:56 PM
Great story! You are very fortunate to have gotten your car back. I sold a car years ago (sorry not a Studebaker) that I deeply regretted selling. I tried in vain to locate mine and buy it back. Hang on to it this time.

studegib
06-15-2005, 12:03 AM
Hey, Dingleberry,
Your story sure sounds familiar. My daughter,Gaelyn, bought her pink Regal VIII when she got her license in 83. It had 31000 on it then, and 135000 when it left her position. It let her down twice.
I found it in a back yard near here and bought it back for her. It awaits restoration by her husband and stepson. It,too has suffered a few altercations since it left home, but it runs good.

Gib
1959 Lark VI Hardtop
1960 Lark VIII 4 door

Gib

Dingleberry
06-22-2005, 09:54 PM
I would like to see some pics of that Lark. ;)

quote:Originally posted by studegib

Hey, Dingleberry,
Your story sure sounds familiar. My daughter,Gaelyn, bought her pink Regal VIII when she got her license in 83. It had 31000 on it then, and 135000 when it left her position. It let her down twice.
I found it in a back yard near here and bought it back for her. It awaits restoration by her husband and stepson. It,too has suffered a few altercations since it left home, but it runs good.

Gib
1959 Lark VI Hardtop
1960 Lark VIII 4 door

Gib

Paul Leske
'59 Lark VI