PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Sizes

Swifster
06-11-2005, 09:39 PM
I just started tearing into my '64 Daytona. This was bought as a roller with the engine and trans (and few other pieces) missing. I have quite a few bolts missing from the grille surround and two different sized bolts ( 1/2" and 3/8" ) holding it in place. I'm thinking that the correct size is the 3/8" size. I'm looking for a little verification on this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)

JDP
06-11-2005, 11:01 PM
The parts booka lists all the standard bolts by size and length, but many bolts are one of several special "body" bolts that thread into speed clips.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
55 Speedster
50 2R 10 truck

benny_64
06-12-2005, 01:56 AM
i replaced my grill on my 64 daytona recently and remember it being 3/8 on bottom and 1/2 inch up top. there was a couple 3/8 on the panel above the grill, one was for the hood cable i believe. hey if you need a right front fender or trim pieces let me know, i have a extra fender and am shaving all my trim, i also have the light surrounds in decent shape.

slow64
bd_marks@yahoo.com

Roscomacaw
06-12-2005, 11:04 AM
I'm betting you guys are referring to WRENCH SIZE and not bolt size![:0] In hardware jargon, a 3/8ths bolt has a standard hex-head size that takes a 9/16ths wrench to work it. A half inch bolt would use a 3/4" wrench to work it! [:0] That'd be one hell of a hefty grille!!![}:)]
Looking at the parts book - that grille used two different size fasteners to hold it in place. Both sorts ARE - as JDP hinted - specialized bolts that work with special "speed nuts". There's (2) 5/16 X 10 X 3/4" bolts with relevant speed nuts and 14 1/4 X 14 x 5/8" bolts with relevant speed nuts.
I'd bet these are available from SASCO. OR - you could just "fudge it" with hardware from your local Ace hdw. store!:D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

64challenger
06-12-2005, 11:09 AM
Mr Biggs you are one smart cookie. Seems like everytime i'm thinking something you say it! Saves me from typing though[8D] Your exactly right on the bolt sizes. I catch myself calling them by head size sometimes as well and i make my living restoring cars!

My Studes:
1.1947 Commander 14A-C3
2.1948 Champion 2 door sedan (parts car)
3.1948 Champion 2 door sedan
4.1950 Champion 2 door sedan
5.1959 Lark 2 door post
6.1964 Stude challenger 2 door

Roscomacaw
06-12-2005, 11:45 AM
Well,

I have a buddy who likes old cars. Even fancies himself a bit of a mechanic[V] I have to remember when he's around that he uses wrench sizes when he talks about bolts.
Had another instance awhile back where a fella talked about his Stude being put together mainly with 1/2" & 9/16" bolts![:0] Had to be one hell of a stout Stude![}:)] Of course, I knew all along that he was talking wrench size and not shank size.[:o)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Swifster
06-12-2005, 01:06 PM
Well, yes, that's what I meant. Wrench size (auto mechanic background) [:p]. The two larger bolts make more sense then. My grille and headlamp doors are straight and I'm going to send them out to have them reanodized. I got the lower panel, grille supports and radiator support out as well. The fenders will come next.

My right fender is in great shape (bought the car in Lake Tahoe), but my left fender has some minor collision damage in the front section of the 'cove'. I'll try and find a replacement for this one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)

benny_64
06-12-2005, 01:29 PM
swifster, i got my fenders from sasco, it was a good deal and i got them at my door with in a few days, pretty good seeing how i live in san diego. oh yeh, sorry about the bolt sizes, i make my living working on helicopters, and all we use is head size. oh and if you bought the car in tahoe, where are you at now? i used to live outside of sacramento.

slow64
bd_marks@yahoo.com

64challenger
06-12-2005, 01:40 PM
Benny did you order front 64 fenders from SASCO? If so how do they look? I'm getting ready to order some myself. I love 64s -- NOS in abundance!

My Studes:
1.1947 Commander 14A-C3
2.1948 Champion 2 door sedan (parts car)
3.1948 Champion 2 door sedan
4.1950 Champion 2 door sedan
5.1959 Lark 2 door post
6.1964 Stude challenger 2 door

Swifster
06-12-2005, 02:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by benny_64

swifster, i got my fenders from sasco, it was a good deal and i got them at my door with in a few days, pretty good seeing how i live in san diego. oh yeh, sorry about the bolt sizes, i make my living working on helicopters, and all we use is head size. oh and if you bought the car in tahoe, where are you at now? i used to live outside of sacramento.

slow64
bd_marks@yahoo.com

I'm just north of Detroit. I tow-dollied the car back. I'm three hours away from SASCO and I'll probably go there in the next month or so with a shopping list.

My car was sent to North Sacramento for delivery. I'm not sure if this was the dealer location or the train yard destination (any ideas?) I do know that the car was supposed to have been sold in the Sacramento area, but lived most of it's life in and around LA. The car came with a San Jose State decal in the rear window. :)

Swifster
06-12-2005, 02:14 PM
I'll also say this; it is soooo nice tearing into a car from the south/southwest. The bolts turned nice and easy and I had more issues with dried mud in the fender areas than with any kind of rust :D. I hope the body-to-frame bolts are just as easy as the front clip has been.

benny_64
06-12-2005, 04:10 PM
hey 64challenger, yeh i did order front fenders from sasco and they were in great shape! no rust except for a few scratch's. no holes. for the trim or 8 emblem but thats an easy fix.

slow64
bd_marks@yahoo.com