PDA

View Full Version : Refurbishment: Order of projects

JBOYLE
03-06-2007, 04:50 PM
I'm thinking about doing some work to my 63 Avanti R1. It's a solid driver now but I need to fix a few things. My question is in what order so I don't tear apart something just redone.

First: Pull the engine for new seals
(a good time to paint engine compartment...keeping in mind the rest of the car may wait for a couple of years?)

THEN:(in no particular order):
-Check suspension (crashes over speed bumps...shocks?, springs?)
-Recharge Air Conditioner (it blows, just not cold)
-Check heater/AC fan (low is almost non-existant, fast is like low or med. on a new car)
-New dash
-Cover front seats/new carpet
-Window out repaint

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

N8N
03-06-2007, 05:02 PM
I would do the repaint before the carpets and interior; otherwise you have to be very careful not to get overspray on the nice new stuff.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

StudeRich
03-06-2007, 05:13 PM
My guess is that if you must wait on the full windows out repaint, that you could do the:
(1) Repair front suspension
(2) A/C System check/recharge
(3) The engine compartment/Engine clean, paint seal job (if you can do this without opening the A/C system, if not do this first)
(4) The Fan repair, there are 2!

First, then the re-paint, Dash, and seats last.

The engine removal/front suspension is a toss-up, it depends on how deep you have to get into the front end, a major rebuild would be easier with the engine gone, except re-installing the springs, which will require the car chained to floor without engine. Just a few things to think about...you have to do it, not me![^]

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA