This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil filter location?

I found a filter on the blocks right side way down low, down like near the oil pan. It has a NAPA filter # 1049, screw on type. Could this be a flow through block with oil filter in proper location? This car had an unconnected bypass oil filter attached to the oil filler tube. I have connected this bypass oil filter up . I used a restricted elbo and oil pressure remaind constant. [xx(][V][^][?] Should I go back to first grade?

If you have the full flow filter (spin on type down low on block), that is all that you need and much better than a partial flow (that you added on). What year car and engine do you have? Sometimes people installed the partial flow filter on top of a latter engine to make the engine look as old as the car that the engine was installed in. Studebaker car V8s switched from partial flow, spin on filter up high to full flow, spin on filter down low on the block in the mid-1962 model year. Cannister filters were used on even earlier V8s. Don't go back to "first grade," but I would suggest checking things out more completely before jumping into a project <G>.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Curt, if this engine is in the 1955 President that you refer to in another question, the engine has been changed to one much newer than the car. That would explain the unattached older style filter up top. Someone was trying to make this mid-1962 to 1964 engine appear similar to a 1955 engine.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

This must be the case, a 62-64 engine and traney from the same years are in my car. The distributor is a window type. When I purchased the car from a widow lady she had a local Studebaker club member there to answer Questions. He said the oil filter was not connecetd and someone had put a newer distriburor on. I was miss directed . The real situation is an engine and traney swap.These Studebakers are new to me so I will need a lot of help!

Comment

Working...
        X