This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude oil filter

As purchased my 64 Daytona 259 has no oil filter. I would like to install a remote unit that uses a spin-on filter. I seem to remember such a device being available, when spin-ons first became popular, as a retrofit. Is one available or has age gotten the best of me? Thanks

What is your engine number? You should have a full flow engine in a '64, but I suppose it's possible that someone has installed a block off plate instead of the filter mount (I think one was used on some trucks)

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Studebaker car V8 engines had full flow, spin on, oil filters as standard equipment starting in the mid-1962 model year. Unless the engine in your car has been changed, it should have a spin on oil filter down low on the engine block. What is your engine serial number (stamped on the boss on the top, front of the engine)?
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

"standard equipment starting in the mid-1962 model year"
        when was it started as an Option? and can an oil filter, remote or otherwise be retrofitted?

Dallas,Texas

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Studebaker car V8 engines had full flow, spin on, oil filters as standard equipment starting in the mid-1962 model year. Unless the engine in your car has been changed, it should have a spin on oil filter down low on the engine block. What is your engine serial number (stamped on the boss on the top, front of the engine)?
          My engine has a three stamped above. Stamped below the three is 1554641

Comment

Sounds like the '3' might be a crookedly stamped cloverleaf, indicating a service replacement block.
            Just a thought...
            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by curt

quote:Originally posted by studegary

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
            '37 Coupe Express
            '37 Coupe Express Trailer
            '61 Hawk
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I am guessing by the 155 number that you have a full flow block - that is a late-ish number (I don't seem to have my late chassis parts book handy, will need to find that) and is definitely a part number or casting number, not an engine number (since you say it's stamped I am guessing that is the part number for a service replacement block) take a look at the lower rear of the block on the passenger side you should find either an oil filter or a block off plate, if you have a block off plate you can either just get the correct oil filter mount and use that or if you really want to go remote Jon Myer sells a neat little adapter that replaces the filter mount or blockoff plate with an adapter with AN fittings, to run your remote filter lines.

If you find *nothing* there you have a partial flow block and you will need to run a bypass filter. Those turn up at swap meets from time to time, both spin on and C4 cartridge type.

good luck,

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              62 Daytona hardtop
              --
              55 Commander Starlight

Comment

<SNIP>
                ...................................................................
                Those are RAISEDnumbers, and they are the casting numbers for a full-flow block. Sometimes the first 1 will be missing. The upper number is a factory code, and may be any single-digit number, or there often is not an upper number visible.

Dwain G.
                Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

If it is indeed a full-flo engine, it should have a filter on the right side of the block, aft of the exhaust pipe. If it's a full-flo block and there's NO filter there, there's the remote chance that it has a cast iron by-pass fixture mounted where the oil filter mount would/should be. I HAVE encountered two of these bypass fixtures over the years. One was in a big truck that had a remote type partial flow filter and the other was from a 63 Lark. WHY someone would eliminate (or opt out) on an oil filter is beyone me![:0] But that possibility DOES exist with a full-flo block.[}]
                  The full-flo blocks also had a filter mount that took a replaceable element type filter. the cannister is considerably larger than the usual cartridge filter used on cars. This was for trucks, I believe. I've got one of the fixtures but I need the cannister and bolt that goes with it if anyone happens to have one.[:I]
                  BTW, your STAMPED engine number should start with a V or a P or a J. And 64 engine numbers were different in interpretation from all previous years.[B)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'm thinking that has to be a late block, am I correct in assuming that the conversion to full flow was the first revision to the V-8 block casting since the introduction of the 259? So a partial flow V-8 would have a casting number of 535 or 536-something?

Is there any reference anywhere on various engine-related casting numbers?

nate

(gonna have to look next time I see a partial flow block <G&gt

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    62 Daytona hardtop
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight

Comment

When I said that full flow blocks were standard starting in mid-1962, I did not imply that they were ever optional before that - they weren't. It seems that you have a mid-1962 to 1964 block. Again, if you give us the STAMPED number on the top , front of the engine (unless the engine number was never stamped on a replacement block), we can tell you more.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote: So a partial flow V-8 would have a casting number of 535 or 536-something?
                        Yes Nate, '55-on uses casting 535601.
                        ..................................................................
                        quote:
                        Is there any reference anywhere on various engine-related casting numbers?
                        I asked that question a long time ago, and the late Earle Haley answered by saying he had asked that question also, in 1953, when he was doing technical writing at the factory. It just wasn't considered practical because any one casting number might be turned into two or more part numbers. So the only list I have is just what I have observed and written down over the years because I thought it was good information to have, even if not always positive identification of every casting.

Dwain G.
                        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I started all this asking about my 64?? 259. Who can tell me what engine serial numbers were in 1964. I have not found a reference yet showing year/numbers. It appears I may have a retrofit block from an older model.

Comment

Bunzard - As I said on June 11 and June 12, if you give us the number STAMPED on the boss on the top, front of the engine, we can give you more information. If there is no stamped number, it is a replacement block from mid-1962 to 1964. 1964 V8 engines did not have a series of engine numbers. The engine numbers were a date code that also included the type of engine. All engines of the same type, made on the same day, have the same engine number for the 1964 model year. Engines from 1951 to 1963 have unique engine numbers. We would like to help you, but we need your stamped engine number to go further.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

The oil filter is hiding, in my opinion. On the passenger side of the engine ,at the back ,low on the side, like parallel to the outer side of the oil pan and almost to the bottom of the pan. That sucker is invisible to one not familar with Studebaker engines! I installed a bypass on mine, then found that sucker. My mistake was a result of being miss led and stupidity. The car had the bypass filter bolted onto the oil fill tube but no oil lines. When I bought the car a 'Studebaker man' said the filter needs to be connected.

Comment

Working...
                              X