PDA

View Full Version : rubbber liner for gas tank ?/64 Avanti

morphis
03-06-2007, 01:08 PM
Along with my carb. problem, i see the gas tank is leaking. First off is there anything i should watch out for when i remove the tank ? A second item is, has anyone used the rubber pour in goop to form a lining ? Also wonder if it may be a good ideal to increase the size of the fuel line to the pump ?

StudeRich
03-06-2007, 01:19 PM
Just about everyone who has had their old car fuel tank cleaned and repaired has used the Aircraft type of fuel tank sealer for modern alcohol ethanol fuels that is sold by Eastwood and others with excellent results. It is not rubber, but be sure it is compatible with the alcohol fuels.

Your local Radiator shop should be able to clean the tank and apply the sealer, the ones that do older cars, do it all the time.

Be sure you check the baffles inside very carefully, they are often the cause of the leak, because the sloshing fuel tends to move them and break the solder/weld to the tank! CAUTION FIRE HAZARD! [xx(]

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

bige
03-06-2007, 04:36 PM
Have you looked at the tank? What I thought was a tank leak was actually a bad vent hose and a crack at the base of the vent tube from the tank, new hose and some fuel resistant epoxy and it's been fine now for 10+ years.

ErnieR

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/AvantiR2/avnatiglamour007.jpg

Lenny R2
03-06-2007, 10:36 PM
If you take your gas tank out.Replace all the rubber fuel line
with sae9 fuel injection hose.It will last longer with todays
gas&additives.I put all sae9 hose on my 64 Avanti tank & fuel
pump.I bought the hose at JC whitny.NAPA also has the hose.

Lenny

60Lark
03-07-2007, 12:01 AM
Unless you have already located the leak, before removing the tank you might also want to make sure the leak is not coming from a defective fuel tank sending unit unit.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6ce20b3127cce8d0e3b50356c00000000400CcNWTlozYsb http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6dc03b3127cce970d7aafd15f00000010100CcNWTlozYsb
Studebaker Fever
60 Lark
51 Champion
Phil
Arnold, Missouri

wagone
03-09-2007, 12:00 PM
The fuel tank sending unit on an Avanti goes in at the very top of the tank. So it is unlikely that the leak is at this point. And the tank is not exposed at the underside as it would be on many (most) old cars. So to see where the leak actually is would be a little difficult. The tank is not particularily difficult to get out (I've had mine out for the dumbest of reasons!), just quite time consuming. ONE word of advice that others have said and it is true--the little elbow fitting at the bottom of the tank must be unthreaded and removed BEFORE taking the tank out. It may not appear that this is ncesssary, but it is! My tank was not at all rusty and had to come out because of the ignorance of the former......(now don't get into that), but if mine were rusty I believe I'd try and get a stainless tank built by Chicago George (pardon me George, but the Geek last name I can't spell). But it may, I understand, be quite a wait (?). Anyway, any specific questions on Avanti tank removal just fire them off as I've been there, done that. Oh, my vent tube connection was cracked at the tank also so this may be fairly common--but it wasn't leaking.

wagone and the old R2 Avanti

chocolate turkey
03-10-2007, 09:30 AM
The last Avanti tank I removed had hairline cracks in several places on the bottom. The car had been used in a movie where they had abused it terribly. I took the tank to the local rad shop and had them pressure test and repair the damage. I replaced the padding for the straps, the fuel hoses and so far, all is good. The only corrosion was on the clamps holding the fuel inlet hose.
Brian

Brian K. Curtis