PDA

View Full Version : Column shift again...

studeclunker
06-09-2005, 09:15 PM
Ok, I've got the jacket off of the steering column. :) The collar that the shift lever goes into is broken. [xx(]I have another that is'nt, but how do I get this bloody thing out? Do the levers come out down below? If so... how?[:I]

Oh yes to recap... This is for a '62 Champ three-on-the-tree.
Thanks in advance.

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker
A.K.A: out2lunch

Roscomacaw
06-09-2005, 09:20 PM
I don't follow your question exactly.:( How does WHAT come out[?]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

N8N
06-09-2005, 09:24 PM
From memory: remove the two nuts that hold the turn signal switch on, remove the TS switch and surrounding potmetal piece, then pull the collar, shift lever, and shift tube out as a unit. ought to be able to get the collar/lever out once you pull the shift tube out an inch or so. If you have to reuse your old shift lever drive out the roll pin and then curse for an hour or so as you try to jiggle the lever out of the collar. Reassembly as they say is the reverse...

While you're in there (don't you hate that phrase?) you might want to pull the shift tube all the way out and see if you need to build up the little fingers with weld to tighten up your shifting. you'll see what I mean when you get it apart. just don't shake the shift levers out of the bottom of the column until you're sure you know how to put them back in again (or you have a parts book to refer to)

good luck,

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

studeclunker
06-09-2005, 09:29 PM
WOW!! that was quick...
What has broken is a collar at the top of the collumn that the shift lever fits into to actuate the eye levers down below.
It has a grommet spot welded on it's surface that the bulb on the end of the shift lever fits into. The grommet has broken off and the collar has cracked. Therefore I can't move the levers at the bottom and consequently can't move the shift bars.
I need to replace the piece or collar so that the shift lever can actuate the levers and shift bars.
I just can't figure how to get all of this rot out to work on it (besides how majorly yucky it is in there). I'm sure that I missing something,[:I] the question is what and where?
By the way, thanks for the quick return.:D

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker

studeclunker
06-09-2005, 09:32 PM
Nate, thanks.
I've already pulled all the top off. The jacket is off and I'm trying to get the inner parts out. I just can't seem to see how.

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker

N8N
06-09-2005, 09:41 PM
just center the shift levers at the bottom of the column, grab ahold and pull (unless I'm missing something)

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

studeclunker
06-09-2005, 11:01 PM
Okaaaaaaay... Well the shaft only goes to the top then the spring and collar assy. hangs up on the support (shift lever)collar. Is there a spring clip holding this thing on? I can't see one. I'm stumped again.

AAARRRRRGGGGG!!!! I'm going to rename this truck from Champ to Chump!

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker