PDA

View Full Version : Defroster fan

dclewallen
06-08-2005, 06:27 PM
How do you remove the fan from the motor on a 53 Studebaker defroster setup? Is it threaded on the shaft? If so, how do I keep the motor from turning while I loosen the fan? Help, Darryl

Darryl C. Lewallen

dclewallen
06-08-2005, 06:35 PM
OOPS, Sorry about this post. After I asked the question I looked again and spotted the set screw on the fan. I guess these eyes aren't quite what they used to be. Darryl

Darryl C. Lewallen

dclewallen
06-08-2005, 07:13 PM
Well now that I've removed the fan I'm faced with another problem. The shaft on the old {6-volt} motor is 1/4" and the shaft on the replacement one {12-volt} is 5/16". So I don't have to try and drill out the fan or disassemble the motor and turn down the shaft, Does anyone out there have possibly a later model 5/16" bore fan 3 3/8" diameter. The motors are the same in every other way size and bolt pattern. This was supposed to be a replacement motor for a Sudebaker defroster {e-bay} and I'm hoping that when they went to 12-volts they just went with a larger size shaft and fan bore. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and pardon the rambling, Darryl

Darryl C. Lewallen

N8N
06-08-2005, 07:25 PM
I would disassemble the motor and oil up the felts in there real well anyway, those motors have a tendency to seize up and they make a heck of a racket when the bushings are spinning in their retainers rather than the shaft rotating in the bushings. Sometimes you can save them by drilling a hole in the little dimple on the rear of the case and oiling from there, but if the front bushing is the one that's seized then you get to spend some quality time R&Ring it again.

That said I don't remember the answer to your question and I should, having just done the exact same thing to my '55 coupe. I didn't know I was supposed to be paying attention to the squirrel cage bore! I can tell you that it didn't change throughout the run of 12V motors, I had an early (one wire) 12V motor that was good except for the front bushing, and a late (two wire) motor that had a seized rear bushing, so I ended up with a frankenmotor :) (hey, it works)

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

dclewallen
06-08-2005, 07:29 PM
The motor I have now is the later two wire with a 5/16" shaft. I need a squirrel cage fan with the same bore size. Thanks, Darryl

Darryl C. Lewallen

Roscomacaw
06-09-2005, 12:24 AM
Daryl,

E-mail me, eh? I've got a bunch of these defroster units. I can probably help you with a blower or whole unit.[^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

dclewallen
06-27-2005, 06:14 PM
Mr. Biggs, Let me know if you have one of these defroster fans for sale, 3" X 1-1/2" with a 5/16" bore. Thanks dclewallen@alltel.net

Darryl C. Lewallen

Roscomacaw
06-28-2005, 12:23 AM
I have gotten your E-mails Darryl. Just been a bit busy and haven't dug thru the parts shack to scare one up. If you can hang in there a bit longer.......[B)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

gordr
06-28-2005, 04:27 AM
Just 2 days ago, I refurbished a 12 volt Hawk defroster fan for a guy with a '53 Commander that he is in the process of converting to 12 volts. I am pretty sure that the shaft size on that motor is also 1/4". I didn't measure it. The HEATER blower fan (lives in the fender) does have a bigger shaft. Could it be that you got a heater fan motor?

I daresay you could ream out the bore in the squirrel cage with a couple of successively larger drill bits, especially if you have a drill press.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

dclewallen
06-28-2005, 04:21 PM
Mr. Biggs, I'm sorry if it seems I'm rushing you but I honestly did not know if you had recieved any of my e-mails at all. I have had problems recently with sending and getting e-mails? I'm patient, and thank you for your reply.------ As far as having the fan that goes under the fender, no this is the underdash defroster fan and I have considered reaming the hole larger but since the fan is made of sheet metal it would be too fragile to chuck up and then I'm concerned about making sure remains balanced after the surgery. I wouldn't have any of these problems with a stock fan with the right bore size. Thanks again for the reply!!!!

Darryl C. Lewallen