PDA

View Full Version : 30's Stude Motor trans

Studebeggar
06-08-2005, 05:58 PM
I have a 35 Stude Dictator with no motor, would like to upgrade with a newer motor with OD trans..anyone know what years will fit ? Help! Spencer , 760-938-2250 nights or s. Carl,po box 516 , big pine, ca. 93513 swcarl@hotmail.com

N8N
06-08-2005, 07:03 PM
I want to say that any Commander (originally Rockne, then Dictator, then finally Commander when the name "dictator" took on negative connotations) six would fit, but you may have to source the correct oil pan for your app. I'd hold out for a more informed answer but I think a later 245 ought to be an easy swap and should provide decent torque even if the high end power isn't all that.

I do not know if the Commander six had different accessories for cars and trucks (like water pump, alternator mount, etc.) but it wouldn't surprise me if they did, so while the 245 was made up until 1960 (I think?) for trucks you're probably better off trying to find one from a car, unless you find one that's known to be good running from a truck AND have access to a parts car if you need some odds and ends. I'm thinking probably your best bet would be to grab a complete drivetrain from a '50 Commander; but I don't know if there would be any issues with clutch and/or shift linkage. Obviously, again, wait for a more informed opinion...

good luck,

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel