PDA

View Full Version : How to prepare for a long drive.

Commander65
06-03-2005, 12:22 AM
This may seem like a strange question, but here goes. I'm going to be going on a cruise to Mexico with 5 friends in September adn we will be driving to L.A. from Portland Oregon. We are taking two cars a modern transportation pod and my 65 Commander. My question is what should I do to prepare the car for the 1000 mile drive. The car serves as my daily driver, but I've never taken her that far. I'm doing a complete brake job this month, master cylinder, new wheel cylinders, pads, hardware, etc. Should I also do the wheel bearings, u- joints? Any suggestions, or am I just being a worry-wort? :D

Thanks for your Imput.
Erik

65cruiser
06-03-2005, 05:50 AM
It certainly won't hurt to check out wheel bearings, etc., if you don't know their condition. But, if the car is in good enough condition to be a daily driver, you should be fine with a few precautions. Carry an extra water and fuel pump (and necessary tools). Make sure hoses, belts, etc., are in good condition. Fix anything that you know is broken and give the car a good going over. I've put a little over 5,000 miles on my Stude this year and several of them have been trips of over 500 miles. It's as reliable as any car I've owned--probably more reliable.

DEEPNHOCK
06-03-2005, 08:33 AM
Definitely repack your wheel bearings and put in fresh seals.
Also, lube the rear wheel bearings (per the manual) if yours is set up for that.
Also, make sure your parking/emergency brake cables are free and loose and lubes (ask Bill Glass, who just suffered a fire because of a frozen brake cable).
I would put new wiper blade refills in just before the trip, and do a super glass cleaning and Rain-X treatment.
Have you flushed and cleaned out the block cooling system?
Getting years of crud out of there may help an overheating problem.
Your list is good. Get enough rest before you head out.
Jeff Rice[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Commander65

This may seem like a strange question, but here goes. I'm going to be going on a cruise to Mexico with 5 friends in September adn we will be driving to L.A. from Portland Oregon. We are taking two cars a modern transportation pod and my 65 Commander. My question is what should I do to prepare the car for the 1000 mile drive. The car serves as my daily driver, but I've never taken her that far. I'm doing a complete brake job this month, master cylinder, new wheel cylinders, pads, hardware, etc. Should I also do the wheel bearings, u- joints? Any suggestions, or am I just being a worry-wort? :D

Thanks for your Imput.
Erik

DEEPNHOCK@Cox.net
'61 Hawk
'37 Coupe Express
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

Commander65
06-03-2005, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the input. I had my radiator recored alittle over 2 years ago, but will flush it out. I already have a new water pump, fuel pump, distributer, starter and carb, that live in a sealed box in the trunk.

Roscomacaw
06-03-2005, 04:40 PM
Sounds to me, like you're good to go! You wrote: " I already have a new water pump, fuel pump, distributer, starter and carb, that live in a sealed box in the trunk." Add a fan belt & rad hoses and of course, take some tools to replace said parts.
Repack the wheel bearings and check all fluids before you depart. Make sure you give a trip report when you're back home!
:D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS