This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Pump, Hawk VS Avanti

I replaced the water pump (impeller, bearing, shaft, assembly) on my '63 Hawk many years ago. I seem to remember that Dennis (?) from Studebaker Parts told me that he was giving me a heavy duty Avanti part. I remember that I had to machine the part that bolts up to the flange to bolt up the fan properly. I now have to replace the waterpump again. Can I use any replacement pump or am I going to have to look for an Avanti pump?

There are 3 different water pumps used on Studes V8 Standard, heavy duty, and Avanti. The difference is on a standard pump you can see about 1/2" of shaft between pump housing and flange, it also has a 1.060" nose.On a heavy duty pump there is almost no shaft showing and the boss for bearing on water pump is larger and comes out to meet the flange. This pump is used on air conditioned models, The avanti pump is the same as the heavy duty, but it has 3 gussets that come down from the main body of the pump to the boss on the bearing housing and the nose should be 1.054".You should try to use nothing on an Avanti, but a Avanti pump because of the weight of the water pully. Casting No. on the Avanti pump is #1560400. Casting no. on heavy duty with long bearing boss is #527070. Casting no. on standard pump is #1554634. McQuay Norris has a pump #PC269 that you may be able to get at your nearest FLAPS.

Comment

The heavy duty, non-Avanti style, works for my Hawk
      Tim K.
      Tim K.
      \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Working...
      X