PDA

View Full Version : front springs

rusty nut garage
06-01-2005, 10:04 AM
I'm rebuilding the front end of a 60 lark V-8.
Is replacment of the front coils recommended, and do you recommend the HD version of the springs. Car is stock with the addition of A/C.
Thanks;)

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
57 SH (project)
60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Alan
06-01-2005, 12:17 PM
How dose the car ride now? How dose it sit? Have you checked the springs on a spring checker? How do they look? Dose the car sit straight? That was a very short question with not much to go on.

Dwain G.
06-01-2005, 01:41 PM
That would be a very good idea. And don't be alarmed if the car sits nose-high for the first month or so.

Dwain G.

Sonny
06-01-2005, 02:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by rusty nut garage

I'm rebuilding the front end of a 60 lark V-8.
Is replacment of the front coils recommended, and do you recommend the HD version of the springs. Car is stock with the addition of A/C.
Thanks;)

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
57 SH (project)
60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

I'm thinkin' that replacing the springs is more up to you Russ. The reason I say that is, I have a '60 Lark, V8 and yes, the front end has lowered, (springs worn), over the years, and the ass-end sits a tad higher. BUT, I like that "stance" or look. It seems, from what I've seen, that the V8 Larks did tend to drop over the years from the weight of the V8, but it did take years. If you want the level look, I'd just go with new stock springs. If you want the elevated front look, the HD springs hold the front end up for quite a while.

As far as handling with lowered springs, not a problem. The only thing I've found is that the fat tires I have on the front tend to rub a touch when I'm backing and turning out of steep driveways.

Sonny
http://RacingStudebakers.com