This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visitor with gorgeous Stude!

Yesterday, as I was working on the 58 wagon, I had a visitor drop by to talk Studes and share a meal.
    Buddy, Dick Steinkamp, stopped by on his way home from attending the LaPalma meet in Anaheim CA. As always, it's a treat just to lay eyes on his flawless, black Starliner [:0](even if it is GM-powered[}]). This visit tho, we decided to do dinner together. So we swung by Sonic drive-in for a burger and fries.
    Although I'd set in S2D (that's the car's name and license plate number[])a number of times, this was my first ride in the black rocket. On our way back to my place, Dick treated me to a spunky run thru the gears. VERY inspiring![:0]
    I took this photo just as Dick was backing out of the driveway. What a treat to watch as this thing glimmered it's way down our private drive in the last light of day!

After Dick disappeard from sight for a few seconds - I heard him take off from the stop sign down at the corner. He made the thing bark at least 3 times in the course of getting to 4th![}] What gorgeous machine! Some of you might well remember it's gracing the cover of TW a couple of years back. It's a treat for one's eyes. That's for sure![^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS

Glad to see Dick's car is still looking as good as ever. Honestly when I first got into Studes, although I didn't even know it, his car was exactly the car I was thinking about. (maybe I'd seen a picture of it in a hot rod magazine or something?) I can only hope that my '55 coupe looks half as good as that when I'm "done" with it.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks again for dinner, Bob. Always a treat to see you and Elisa.

I do like the sound of that 327 at full song...about 6k right before a shift...sounds almost as good as that Provincial of yours with the new dual exhaust system! I hit most rest stops on my trips...not so much because I drink a lot of water, but mostly to take advantage of the on ramp <g>.

Here's a few pics of the La Palma meet. Sorry there are so few, but I was talking too much to take more pictures <g>.

I signed up a few more 53-54 C/K's for our cruise to Spokane while in La Palma. If anyone else with one of these cars wants in on the convoy, let me know (ddstnkmp at earthlink dot net). I'd like to see about 20 of us pull into the host hotel together. I'm having an easier time getting non Stude powered hot rods to participate than stockers. Need some more stockers to balance the fleet!

-Dick-
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Great pics! What's the deal with that blue '53 with the sidepipes? Is that the same car with the floor shift and Speedster dash? That definitely falls under the category of "I wouldn't have done it exactly like that" but for once that's not a slam, I think it's very cool, just not how I would have done it.

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        62 Daytona hardtop
        --
        55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Nate,
          Both the black C and the blue C had 4 speeds. The black one has the Speedster dash. The blue car was built in the 70's and is spot on to that era...down to the fender well headers, the slot mags, jacked up in back to fit the tires, etc. A guy your age (there are now 2 young people with Studebakers <grin&gt, found it, paid 2 grand for it, painted it, and is driving the wheels off of it! Too cool.

-Dick-
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Now that's awesome! but HOW much did he pay for it? geez, I'm going to have to move to CA...

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            62 Daytona hardtop
            --
            55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Dick,

I 'spose we better not tell Nate what this wagon cost.[}] Otherwise we'll have him out here for competition.[]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

You guys are making me cry! The first Stude I owned was a '54 C-body. Then a little thing like Vietnam and a big thing like Uncle Sam came along, and it was "good bye, little coupe". Oh well, that was 40 years ago, time to move on. Have fun with your Loewy coupes and hardtops.
                Wagone

Comment

Well the turnout at La Palma looks as nice as ever. I always have to go with an extra large hankerchief for the drooling. Was that Land Cruiser a '54? Whatever, It's certainly goooooorgous!![]

Was that a '53 starliner? I'm guessing by the grill? Very nice

Lotsa Larks!
                  Studeclunker
                  A.K.A: out2lunch
                  Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I think I had the only Starliner there (plenty of 53-54 Starlights), so it must be mine. Actually it's a '54, but I have smoothed 53 grill bars on it, '53 dash, '53 rear console. '53 tristar horn button, radio block off plate, and rear seat ashtray. The rest is pretty much stock '54 (suspension, brakes, rear end, etc) other than the 365 hp 327 and the close ratio T-10 <g>.

-Dick-
                    Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

The LandCruiser was a '54 and it was beautiful!
                      -Dick-
                      Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                      X