PDA

View Full Version : 51 Champ steering

aarone
05-30-2005, 12:16 AM
I am in need of a solution. I have a bad steering box on my 2 door Sedan. I pulled whole thing out (steering wheel/column and gearbox) since it is one piece anyway. I was wondering if I should put in something different or try to find the same kind and keep the steering original. The car came with a 6 cylinder engine and I think I am going to have it rebuilt. any ideas would be great.

Aaron http://www.aaroneckhoff.com

Roscomacaw
05-30-2005, 08:52 AM
For the sake of simplicity, keep it original. There's no easy (even remotely easy) interchange for the steering box in your Champion. How about just rebuilding the existing one? I'll bet you could find the pieces to do so.
Exactly WHAT is worn in yours? Did you try to adjust the slop out of it before you pulled it? Have you actualy taken it apart to see what components are worn?[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

r1lark
05-30-2005, 09:07 AM
Arron, I checked out your website......great pics!

Thanks for giving us the link.

Paul

aarone
05-30-2005, 12:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

For the sake of simplicity, keep it original. There's no easy (even remotely easy) interchange for the steering box in your Champion. How about just rebuilding the existing one? I'll bet you could find the pieces to do so.
Exactly WHAT is worn in yours? Did you try to adjust the slop out of it before you pulled it? Have you actualy taken it apart to see what components are worn?[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

I took it apart bearings fell out not sure if I found them all, found six. I put them back in and tried to slide it back together but for some reason it isn't going back together. I may need to find someone that knows how to work on them.

Roscomacaw
05-30-2005, 02:29 PM
Do you HAVE a shop manual for a '51? They're available from many vendors. SASCO's one 1-800-722-4295 weekdays, til 3:30PM CST;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

aarone
05-30-2005, 11:47 PM

Do you HAVE a shop manual for a '51? They're available from many vendors. SASCO's one 1-800-722-4295 weekdays, til 3:30PM CST;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

I have a shop manual but it isn't very detailed I got it from studebakerparts.com I just went to their website to order a parts manual but their links are broken I also went to the site to see if they have a steering wheel puller but that link is broke too. Do you know of another place that has special tools (steering wheel puller) as shown in the Shop manual looks pretty special, but do you know of something else that may work? Or maybe a newer style that I can purchase at my local auto parts store?

Thanks for your help
I think if I get the parts manual and a bearing count (since I dropped them) and the steering wheel pulled I may be able to save the steering assembly, need to locate some shims though.

aarone
05-30-2005, 11:49 PM

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

You are going to embarass me if I tell you what I did.

Roscomacaw
05-31-2005, 07:54 AM
Well, don't tell us then. Let's concentrate on getting the steering box back together.
As to that steering wheel puller, I don't know of another source of one. We're talkin' 53 years since that style wheel was used. I'm thinking a bearing puller MIGHT work if the thing would span the width of the wheel's hub. I have a 51 and I know what a pain it is to get the wheel off but it's been so long that I can't remember how I managed last time.[B)]
I'll look at my old bearing puller this morning and see if I think it's adequate. You could buy one at Harbor Freight or some such place.[:I]
BTW, the parts book calls for 22 5/16ths steel balls in that sector.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS[}:)]

aarone
05-31-2005, 02:29 PM

Well, don't tell us then. Let's concentrate on getting the steering box back together.
As to that steering wheel puller, I don't know of another source of one. We're talkin' 53 years since that style wheel was used. I'm thinking a bearing puller MIGHT work if the thing would span the width of the wheel's hub. I have a 51 and I know what a pain it is to get the wheel off but it's been so long that I can't remember how I managed last time.[B)]
I'll look at my old bearing puller this morning and see if I think it's adequate. You could buy one at Harbor Freight or some such place.[:I]
BTW, the parts book calls for 22 5/16ths steel balls in that sector.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS[}:)]

Ok thanks. I found 7 of the 22. I will keep trying the web site to get the tool and will also look around for something else, If all else fails I will make one.

Tom B
05-31-2005, 09:29 PM
This probably won't work for you, (Murphey's Law) but I loosened the nut holding down the steering wheel and backed it off three or four turns. I then applied my steering wheel puller (two-pound soft faced hammer) to the back of the wheel, alternating sides, until it came loose. My car is a '53, but I expect the wheel has been off more recently than 52 years ago.

Tom Bredehoft
'53 Commander Coupe
'60 Lark VI

aarone
06-01-2005, 01:27 AM
quote:Originally posted by Tom B

This probably won't work for you, (Murphey's Law) but I loosened the nut holding down the steering wheel and backed it off three or four turns. I then applied my steering wheel puller (two-pound soft faced hammer) to the back of the wheel, alternating sides, until it came loose. My car is a '53, but I expect the wheel has been off more recently than 52 years ago.

Tom Bredehoft
'53 Commander Coupe
'60 Lark VI

I may try that. It looks like it may have been removed before as do most of the nuts and bolts on that car, they are all surprisingly easy to remove.

Transtar56
06-02-2005, 11:23 AM
I have an old Snap-On puller that works on any steering wheel Ive come across yet.Just pulled the 60 Hawks old cracked up wheel and slipped on a NOS one.What a difference!

aarone
06-02-2005, 02:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by Transtar56

I have an old Snap-On puller that works on any steering wheel Ive come across yet.Just pulled the 60 Hawks old cracked up wheel and slipped on a NOS one.What a difference!

Sounds good I will check my local parts store to see if I can barrow a puller. My steering wheel looks more worn out than the car. The metal has some pretty bad cracks in it. I have the shop manual, and I just ordered a body parts and chassis parts manual from studebakerparts.com the web link was broke so I called them.
Funny, when I called they new me by my first name, and I only ordered from them once before,(nice people)!!

Transtar56
06-03-2005, 05:13 AM
You will find Chuck and Chris Collins to be one of our best vendors,and does he ship fast!

51studer
06-14-2005, 02:30 AM
I also have the steering box problem and I need to pull the steering wheel also. My 51' Commander has sat since 67' without being touched and you are lucky to only have to do the minimal. I'll look into the puller from a store, thanks guys. I am curious about the disk brake set up you got for your car. Where did you get all the parts and how much was it? I have finally got down to sand blasting the whole front suspension and firewall and now I'm about ready to get the brakes and steering all ready to go. [8D]