This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lug Nuts

I have a 1954 Champion that has reverse threads Lug nuts on the drivers side rims front and back, but has standard thread lug nuts on the passanger side.

Is this normal? or has one side been changed out?

Thanks Kevin

1954 Studebaker Champion Coupe

Perfectly normal. Chrysler did the exact same thing up into the early 70s...

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks nate

Studebaker in new to me I have always loved the body lines of these cars.

do you know of a Interchange part list online or a book?

I have ordered the shop and body manuel for this car I'm sure it will provide a wealth of information.

Also I need a spare rim for a spare tire I see online about disc brakes using a ford rotor and a chevy caliper. Does anyone know what make & model of ford rims that would fit? And do they look good?

Thanks for all the help

Kevin

Comment

I have started something of an interchange for parts store type stuff on my web site (see .sig) also Bob Johnstone has one on his as well. The parts books will become absolutely invaluable when you start shopping for used parts as you can immediately see if a part from another vehicle will fit your car just by crossing the part numbers. Also when calling vendors many of them catalog their stuff by factory part numbers so you've already ordered the best reference material you can get for your car.

For wheels many people are using a Ford rim that's 15x6" I think it is a ford ranger rim, there used to be a guy in TX selling them mail order that advertised in Turning Wheels or I think the info is on my interchange list on my web site as well. If you want alloys go easy on the width and make sure you have enough backspacing; I can tell you from personal experience that a "standard" 14x7 mag with a 3" backspace is a press fit on the rear of most Studes and a no go on the front. (would prefer 14x6 or 15x6 if I had them) most factory stude wheels were offset a little to the inside so ideally you'd want to preserve that so as not to mess with your scrub radius too much.

Your stock wheels should be 5" wide, yes? those are actually wide enough to run 205/75s on safely unlike the later 4.5" wheels which are narrower than the recommended width for most radial tires but watch for hubcap creep, that means your wheels are flexing and time to think about replacement.

I'm not aware of any newer rims that will accomodate the "dog dish" hubcaps if that is a concern to you.

good luck,

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        62 Daytona hardtop
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Are all Studebaker lug nuts on the R side reverse turn[?]

Comment

Look at the end of the stud. (that's the screw the lug nut is screwed onto, not the car itself) If it has an R stamped on it turn it right to loosen, if it has an L turn it left to loosen. The right hand side of the car should have Ls, the left hand side, depending on the year, might have Rs.

These all date back to when there was one nut on the end of the axle, on the left side, they might unscrew. When they went to several lug nuts they continued the practice, although it wasn't needed.

Tom Bredehoft
            '53 Commander Coupe
            '60 Lark VI

Comment

Thanks Nate,

for the information If you know a Interchange parts list Url please pass it on.

Comment

Tom,

You got R&L mixed up!

The studs stamped L are left-hand thread, and go on the left side of the car. The studs stamped R are right-hand (normal) thread, and go the right side of the car.

Left-hand thread nuts often have markings on the exposed face or small notches on the hex corners, but they can be hard to see on used nuts.

I don't know if the right-left nut practice got started from the early days when one nut retained the wheel, but you may have noticed that the rear hub nuts on Studes are both right hand thread. I can tell you that if wheel nuts are not properly tightened, movement of the wheel will rapidly loosen them if they are the "wrong" thread for the side in question, so the practice of using "handed" nuts has some validity.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

You're right, Gord, my better half says I'm dyslexic. I disagree, but it does no good, and I still get confused.

Tom Bredehoft
                  '53 Commander Coupe
                  '60 Lark VI

Comment

Working...
                  X