PDA

View Full Version : 1963 Champ Steering Automatic Steering Column

mjeansonne
05-23-2005, 08:59 PM
I have discovered that the parts catalog I have for my truck is for the prior years and not for 63 - 64. So I am in need of parts numbers so that I can determine what Studebaker Car had the same part number... I need to know what the part numbers are for the Steering Post Jacket and the Steering Shaft for a 1963 Champ with automatic transmission. Once I get the numbers, I figure I can cross reference to the cars... Unless someone knows what automatic steering column I am looking for.

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Roscomacaw
05-24-2005, 07:26 AM
The number for that steering post jacket (Parts book terminology) is 1691291P ("P" indicates primered finish) Trouble is, there's no jacket for a car that's listed by that number in the car parts book(s). I looked for you.:( But that doesn't mean there isn't one that's close enough in configuration to work for you, it just means that there was SOME little detail or more, that called for a different part number to differentiate the Champ Jacket from a close cousin of a car jacket.[}:)]
Further - that'll only get you the outer jacket, should you be lucky enough to locate one by part number. That won't get you the shift tube, the collar, the relevant levers or springs or.... you get the picture.:(
Again - not saying that there isn't a fairly easy swap from some car to be had, just that you need to KNOW which part(s) you are in search of OR find someone who knows for sure.
And as to the "steering shaft" - you won't be changing that in your conversion. The "shaft", being what the parts book calls a "post & cam", is the same for stick or auto.;)

Miscreant at large.

mjeansonne
05-24-2005, 08:32 PM
Thanks, for the info. All I am trying to do is to have some type of reference point, eg; if a 1691291P fits a 63 Champ, then perhaps the same number fits a specific car and I could then assume I could use a steering column from that year car and type!!??[:p] I'm just trying to figure out what car is approximately correct!![^]

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Roscomacaw
05-25-2005, 01:10 PM
That's why I said I had already looked in the car parts books (back thru 1955 models) and deduced there's no direct interchange for that Champ column jacket. Again - that DOESN'T mean there isn't one for a car that's close. It just means that whatever minor differences there were, there WERE differences and that means it was assigned a part number that says as much. [:I]
In answer to your question about overall length, it does appear that that some '60 and later Hawks (with automatic) had a jacket of the same length as the 8E Champs - 32&7/16ths inch. But that's no guarantee there won't be other factors that might be a problem for your conversion.
Automatic tranny Stude pickups are fairly rare. They just didn't make many of them. :D

Miscreant at large.