PDA

View Full Version : Hey neat!

studeclunker
05-20-2005, 05:58 PM
I found out today that my Lark sedan is not only a Regal but one of the long wheelbase Y-bodies as well. I know, I know, B.F.D.;) When one is as starved for entertainment as I am this is really neat.[:I]

Anyway I was looking the codes in the engine comp. up in the body book today and found out that there were quite a few Y-bodied models put out.[:0] The car turned out to be a little nicer than I thought. Still need to address the suspension though... Looks like one of those So. Cal. low riders right now...[:I]

I know, get a life. Right?[:o)][:I]

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker
A.K.A: out2lunch

S_Ferrell
05-24-2005, 11:01 AM
You want to talk about getting a life? The highpoint of my weekend was watching Peter Graves in "Killers From Space". It was made in 1953. Peter drives a new Starlight hardtop, the friendly doctor drives a 1952 Nash Ambassador sedan and the evil FBI agent has a 1952 Ford Ranch Wagon.

her63
05-24-2005, 11:34 AM
Where do you find out the specifics on your model? Or a better question might be where do I go to look them up? Glad you got some info, really I think it's fun. I still haven't gotten that far yet but hoping to soon!

N8N
05-24-2005, 12:12 PM
Body tag will tell you what you have, shop manual and/or parts books will tell you what the body tag codes mean. Fred Fox has done a lot of articles for TW on various models/years with some good info, if he's done one for your particular car it's worth it to look for that issue next time you go to a Stude meet and see a vendor selling back issues.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Roscomacaw
05-24-2005, 12:16 PM
All 4-drs rode the Y chassis from '62-on. The W-bodies cars were no longer produced after the '61 model year.:)

Miscreant at large.

studegary
05-24-2005, 01:14 PM
An historical correction to S Ferrell's post. There is no such thing as a 1953 "Starlight hardtop" (sic). The Starlight is a coupe (C body) and the hardtop is a Starliner (K body) for 1953. So, the car in the movie was either a 1953 Starlight coupe or a 1953 Starliner hardtop. Some may consider this picky, but I aim to keep Studebaker history accurate.

studeclunker
05-25-2005, 12:27 AM
Well, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only pendandic old fart around here.
Her63;
The numbers on your car are in two places. one is the obvious door post tag. The other is in the engine compartment fire wall on the passenger's side. It will tell you the year model and trim level of your car.;) I have been told that one can even divine the original color out of those numbers. How that is done is a mystery to me.[:I]

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker
A.K.A: out2lunch

N8N
05-25-2005, 05:26 AM
Often the original color can be found on a sticker on the underside of the glovebox. Failing that you can send away to the SNM for a coupy of your build sheet which will tell you that and what options your car originally came with.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

S_Ferrell
05-25-2005, 08:47 AM
quote:Originally posted by studegary

An historical correction to S Ferrell's post. There is no such thing as a 1953 "Starlight hardtop" (sic). The Starlight is a coupe (C body) and the hardtop is a Starliner (K body) for 1953. So, the car in the movie was either a 1953 Starlight coupe or a 1953 Starliner hardtop. Some may consider this picky, but I aim to keep Studebaker history accurate.
Thank you, my mistake, it was a hardtop coupe for sure.

studegary
05-25-2005, 10:04 PM
Studeclunker, I think that I finally figured out what you meant - pedantic, not "pendandic" (sic).<G>