PDA

View Full Version : Champ Automatic Conversion

mjeansonne
05-18-2005, 12:33 PM
I'm still trying to convert my 63 Champ to an automatic. I think I may have located a Flightomatic transmission close by, but I am still in need of a Steering column with indicator for the Champ, as well as the linkage. Anybody have one? I imagine just the steering column should be able to be shipped via FedEx or UPS...

Also, (ONCE AGAIN) what conversions need to be done to install a flightomatic for a 6 cylinder into a 259 V-8?

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Dwain G.
05-18-2005, 01:54 PM
Surprisingly, the shift tube and mast jacket for various Hawks is the same as the earlier Champ parts. An 8E jacket has a different part number, but is shown as being the same length (32 7/16"). Hawk parts would be easier to find, but I can't say for sure they would fit your '63 properly.

Dwain G.

Roscomacaw
05-18-2005, 03:11 PM
I've got a Champ steering column jacket. I think it's for standard shift tho. Thing is, I can't remember what vintage Champ it's from. And as Dwain pointed out - there's some sort of difference from earlier Champs as opposed to your 8E model.

As to putting a Flight-o from a 6 behind an 8, I think all you'd need to FIT it would be the proper bell housing. I'm NOT SURE that there's a physical difference in the torque convertors so long as we're talking a cast iron Flight-o-matic. After '62, Stude cars went to the aluminum case BW T-35 tranny (they still called it a Flight-o-matic) and I doubt it would fit up right although I can't say with conviction. The trucks continued to use the cast iron unit til the end. And the trucks had a vacuum modulator to effect throttle pressure whereas car versions used a mechanical rod to a second lever on the tranny.
You COULD bolt up a 6cyl tranny and expect it to work behind an 8 .... for a time.[V] But since the innards are lighter duty than the V8 trans, don't look for too much life out of the 6 tranny.

Miscreant at large.

mjeansonne
05-18-2005, 10:05 PM
Thanks guys.

I was looking through my parts catalogs and it appears that the Champ Steering column jacket is the same part number as for a model 60S and 60V. Since I don't own either of these cars, nor have I ever owned them (and not sure if I ever understood Studebaker Model designations[:I])exactly which cars are 60S and 60V? I know they are 1960 models, but which ones? I'm thinking I should look for that particular ones. But then again, if length is the only question, then it wouldn't matter if it was 1" - 2" shorter... it would just increase the distance from the steering wheel to my gut!![:o)] Wouldn't it??

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Roscomacaw
05-19-2005, 07:48 AM
60S & 60V only means 1960 6cyl and 1960 8cyl cars. Look in your parts book again. RIGHT AFTER where it say's Steering Jacket, there's some letters. Like W or F or D or P or J or L or C. Those letters tell you what body style (and consequently, which model - Lark or Hawk) you're dealing with. For 1960, only the "C" body cars are Hawks. All the rest would be Larks. Then the 60S or 60V tells you what engine is involved.
The length WILL make a difference in that it won't match the length of the steering wheel shaft.;)

Miscreant at large.