PDA

View Full Version : 12 volt conversion questions

gotti210
05-14-2005, 09:25 PM
will the brake light switch be affected when you convert the 6 volt pos grnd to 12 volt neg ground

we drove the car across town today while it was still 6 volts and my wife followed me she said brake lights worked

after we had the alternator and voltage drops and everything else installed and i went to drive it back across town to go home she said they were no longer working i dont understand why

i had already changed out the old 6 volt bulbs and was running 12 volt bulbs 6 mos prior to the conversion

after further inspection the tail light do work but no brake lights

could the 6 to 12 volt change have fryed the brakelight switch or could a polarity change need to be done as well at the switch

hummmmm its definately got me stumped
any ideas guys

Sonny
05-14-2005, 10:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by gotti210

will the brake light switch be affected when you convert the 6 volt pos grnd to 12 volt neg ground

we drove the car across town today while it was still 6 volts and my wife followed me she said brake lights worked

after we had the alternator and voltage drops and everything else installed and i went to drive it back across town to go home she said they were no longer working i dont understand why

i had already changed out the old 6 volt bulbs and was running 12 volt bulbs 6 mos prior to the conversion

after further inspection the tail light do work but no brake lights

could the 6 to 12 volt change have fryed the brakelight switch or could a polarity change need to be done as well at the switch

hummmmm its definately got me stumped
any ideas guys

Nope, the brake light switch doesn't care what voltage you're putting through it, it's just a pressure switch. I'd look at the wiring, mebbe you knocked something loose when you were doing the change over. It's just a hot wire, (constant), through the switch to the lights.

Heck, those old brake light switches fail without warning many times. It might have been weak anyway. It's down on the end of the master cylinder, two push-on terminals, easy to pull, clean/check. If you clean the area off around it real good than unscrew the old one and screw the new switch in right away you don't even have to bleed anything! You might even want to just go ahead and replace the thing anyway. They're at any parts store for about 5 bucks.

Sonny
http://RacingStudebakers.com

N8N
05-15-2005, 06:07 AM
yeah what Sonny said. Seems like after 40-50 years those brake light switches eventually stop working. Good news is it's an available, inexpensive part.

good luck,

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Roscomacaw
05-15-2005, 09:26 AM
What CAN screw up these old brake lite switches is converting to silicone brake fluid. But 12 volts shouldn't bother it at all.;)

Miscreant at large.