PDA

View Full Version : How to check.......

gotti210
05-14-2005, 09:17 PM
ok guys maybe im stupid but how do you check the oil on a 1950 stud champ with stock flat 6

ive looked everywhere on the block and can not find a damm dipstick

need info soon stud getting ready to hit the streets and dont know if theres is enough oil in it or what

Sonny
05-14-2005, 10:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by gotti210

ok guys maybe im stupid but how do you check the oil on a 1950 stud champ with stock flat 6

ive looked everywhere on the block and can not find a damm dipstick

need info soon stud getting ready to hit the streets and dont know if theres is enough oil in it or what

That's an easy one, it's in/under, (or should be), the oil fill cap. I hope you put oil in that thing! :D If it ain't there, (and a lot of them did get broken off), all you can do is drain the oil, put in the five quarts then attach a rod or something to the cap so you can check it.

Sonny
http://RacingStudebakers.com

Roscomacaw
05-15-2005, 09:58 AM
Sonny, I think on the '50 (9G), the dipstick is in a seperate tube, just in front of the end of the starter motor. There's a little wire keeper that holds the tube in place in the block. The 49 and earlier Champions had the dipstick integral with the oil filler cap.[:I]

Miscreant at large.

Sonny
05-15-2005, 10:31 AM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Sonny, I think on the '50 (9G), the dipstick is in a seperate tube, just in front of the end of the starter motor. There's a little wire keeper that holds the tube in place in the block. The 49 and earlier Champions had the dipstick integral with the oil filler cap.[:I]

Miscreant at large.

That's a good possibility, you'd know better on this one. I'm going on what both of mine had, but no tellin' who mixed and matched what. Let us know what you find will ya gotti?

Sonny

gotti210
05-15-2005, 12:41 PM
i guess i need to go out in the garage and check them

my dad helped me do the 12 volt conversion at his house and we were talking about the oil pressure guage being kinda low in route to his house and then the conversation switched to have i checked the oil

i felt really stupid to say i didnt know where the dipstick was

anyways after about another hour of argueing about my stupidity he gave up and said it must of originally came in the breather

we made a small round stock of metal to check down the fill tube and it showed no oil

well after adding three quarts it still showed no oil
but later on in the day after i got home and let the car sit for a couple of hours i had a rather large puddle under the car which kinda tells me that it was overfull

i guess my next thing to do i drain the oil and add new (hey does it take 4 or 5 quarts) and then ill know its full and the try me a dipstick

hey sonny or mr biggs by any chance can you guys send me a few example pics of the two types of dipsticks you guys speak of
of

Sonny
05-15-2005, 06:16 PM
quote:Originally posted by gotti210

i guess i need to go out in the garage and check them

my dad helped me do the 12 volt conversion at his house and we were talking about the oil pressure guage being kinda low in route to his house and then the conversation switched to have i checked the oil

i felt really stupid to say i didnt know where the dipstick was

anyways after about another hour of argueing about my stupidity he gave up and said it must of originally came in the breather

we made a small round stock of metal to check down the fill tube and it showed no oil

well after adding three quarts it still showed no oil
but later on in the day after i got home and let the car sit for a couple of hours i had a rather large puddle under the car which kinda tells me that it was overfull

i guess my next thing to do i drain the oil and add new (hey does it take 4 or 5 quarts) and then ill know its full and the try me a dipstick

hey sonny or mr biggs by any chance can you guys send me a few example pics of the two types of dipsticks you guys speak of
of

Don't feel too bad, we've ALL overlooked things that bit our butts, it's called experience. ;)

As for an example or pics, I just don't have anything for ya right now, sure wish I did. Didn't the service manual have anything for ya? Hopefully someone here has the pics/examples that ya need partner. I think that you're on the right track though, take a look at where Bob suggested and do your measuring there, after you drain it and put in 5 quarts.

Sonny

Justin53
05-15-2005, 06:50 PM
Here is a pic of the 6 under my hood. Its a 53, but the dipstick is probably in the same hidden place on yours if it is not in the breather cap. In front of the air cleaner there is a steel loop in the picture which is the top of the dikpstick. It is nestled between the sparkplug wire holder and the air cleaner, and as has been said already the tube for it is between the starter and the distributor. My breather cap is the black helmet in front of the orange oil filter.

Good luck,
J
http://www.frontiernet.net/~jfssch2/MVC-001F.JPG

gotti210
05-15-2005, 07:57 PM
yeah sonny hit the nail right on the head

i bolted a ballast resistor to the coil mount yesterday and if the dipstick was a snake my ass would be dead but 15 mins later i looked over the whole block looking for a dipstick and swear to the lord there wasnt one

today i go out side and pop the hood and look right where mr biggs said it would be a wow what do ya know theres a dipstick less than an inch away from where i mounted that ballast resistor

huh amazing eye sight huh

hey thanks again guys

52hawk
05-15-2005, 10:04 PM
I thought I was the only one with eyes like that!!! I bet you can find that dipstick in the dark now though!

not golden hawk,not silver hawk,just hawk.