PDA

View Full Version : Serial # Plates

dclewallen
05-14-2005, 06:04 PM
I'm getting ready to have my 53 Studebaker painted. Everything looks OK, body is pretty straight but the serial number plate in the left door jam is in pretty sad shape. It is still legible but the black printed portion is about gone and it's scratched up really bad. If this were a 65 Mustang I could purchase a new one and repunch the numbers. Is there a reproduction Studebaker tag available anywhere? I have the decal that is available but would rather replace the entire tag so it doesn't stand out against the new paint. Thanks for any information.

Darryl C. Lewallen

Roscomacaw
05-14-2005, 06:25 PM
No - no tags available. But that decal works pretty nice. I've used a couple!;)

Miscreant at large.

StudHawk60
05-14-2005, 09:53 PM
Where's the decal available from?[:I]

Swifster
05-15-2005, 01:53 AM
Darryl,

Just an FYI too save you some greif. If you do replace the plate with another, keep the original and find another area to mount it. If you were pulled over and there is any reason the cop wants to verify the VIN, you could have problems.

I'm looking at a laser etched plate to mount on the dash pad, but I plan on mounting the original either on the firewall next to the trim plate, or on the inner fender on the left front. I'm doing this on a modified car. If yours is all original, clean the original up as best you can and use the replacement decal.

Good luck!

Roscomacaw
05-15-2005, 08:27 AM
I got my decals from BondoBilly.;)

Miscreant at large.