PDA

View Full Version : Prestolite alternator: fix or switch?

Jeff T.
05-13-2005, 03:41 AM
With the recent couple of threads on alternators for larks I had a thought on an alternator that I have had on the shelf for a while.I have a prestolite model from a 64 challanger that I scrapped and am reusing a number of parts in an extended cab truck project.

Ok, would you bother having a prestolite anything rebuilt or replace it with a mopar of similar vintage or another alternator.

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
The Replacements.

MarkC
05-13-2005, 01:10 PM
The Prestolite alternators are not highly regarded by some, but parts are available and they are rebuildable. I've not had enormous problems and I've found several used and rebuilt replacements that weren't expensive. That being said, the electrical system on my car isn't taxed heavily with AC or other high power accessories and my needs aren't excessive. Conversions are common and there's a lot of experience in the Studebaker realm with them, but I personally don't have a need to switch. (I did go to a solid state regulator, though.)

MarkC, 64 Y8
Working in Spokane, WA

BRUCESTUDE
05-14-2005, 11:06 AM
MARK- DO YOU HAVE INFO. ON THE SOLID STATE REGULATOR? I NEED TO REPLACE MY OLD ONE SOON...

JDP
05-14-2005, 02:59 PM
Don't know about Mark, but I bought mine at Autozone. (68-70's Mopar replacemant)

64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
55 Speedster
50 2R 10 truck