PDA

View Full Version : one wire Alternator

studeclunker
05-12-2005, 09:32 PM
I have installed a one wire alternator in my '62 lark. I like these internally regulated. The car originally had a generator. No problem with the genny, I just don't like them. The problem is the ruddy AMP light won't go out on the dash.:( It seems to be working fine, I just need to get rid of the bloody light.[V] By the way, it's on even when the car is off.:( I've had this done by the local mechanic before and can't afford to have him do it now.[:I] Anyone please?

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker
A.K.A: out2lunch

DEEPNHOCK
05-13-2005, 07:37 AM
Here is a very good website that has a lot of information that may help you.

http://mightymo.org/Proj_OneWire.html

On my last one wire alternator installation I had to add a small 'load' to tell the regulator to start charging. A small bulb was wired under the dash to crate the load. It was on whenever the engine was running (and it was 'painted' with a Magic marker to color the glass black.
Hope the info is useful...
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

I have installed a one wire alternator in my '62 lark. I like these internally regulated. The car originally had a generator. No problem with the genny, I just don't like them. The problem is the ruddy AMP light won't go out on the dash.:( It seems to be working fine, I just need to get rid of the bloody light.[V] By the way, it's on even when the car is off.:( I've had this done by the local mechanic before and can't afford to have him do it now.[:I] Anyone please?

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker

DEEPNHOCK@worldnet.att.net
'61 Hawk
'37 Coupe Express
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

studeclunker
05-13-2005, 11:49 AM
Okayyyyy... Well. This will take a deal of reading. Though on first glance the article is to convert a three wire alternator to one.
Thanks Jeff. I'll look into this...[8)]

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker

PaulDriver
05-13-2005, 12:48 PM
I really don't understand why ANYONE would want a one wire alternator.

try reading this link as well

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/onewire-threewire.shtml

Transtar60
05-13-2005, 03:26 PM
Yep Paul, one wires are fine for agricultural equipment or stationary engines that have no accessories and see little variation in rpm after startup.

For an automobile , a three wire(internally regulated) is the way to go and Mad Electrical explains why.

studeclunker
05-17-2005, 09:32 PM
Okay. Thanks for your help. I happen to like one wires because they don't generally give me much problem. I don't have a lot of junk on my motors. One of the reasons I drive a Studebaker is because of their simplicity. Why complicate that?

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker

Transtar60
05-19-2005, 11:28 PM
Its a matter of performance and preference I guess.
Simple Agricultural/stationary engines have few accessories like Lights,turn signals, heaters, air conditioners, radios, wipers.
IRC the three wire alternator senses the load imposed on the electrical system and adjusts out put accordingly. Where as the one wire sends out 13.5 volts irregardless of load and rpm of the engine.

If you only drive during the day, when its dry , you'll probably be fine with a one wire.

www.madelectrical.com explains it so much better than I.